Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Looking for a replacement engine for my '99

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WilliamTech 
#1 ·
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've posted cause way up here in North Idaho there isn't a very long riding season. Anyway, I have the 99 vulcan and have used the heck out of this site since I got it. Spline lube, marbling, stater re-wrap and install, coolant flush, preferred oil, all thanks to you. Bad news is she started making a low end noise last year shortly after putting my newly wound stater back in. Took it to a local shop that says it's time to scrap her before i break down somewhere. Overall bike is in pretty good shape and if you were deaf you'd never know there was a problem. So I'm just putting it out there to see if anybody knows of a good running engine that would go into the '99 for a reasonable price so I can keep it on the road. Right now it's got 39000 miles.
Thanks!

#3 ·
Mine was doing same low end noise. (36000miles on meter), so I opened engine and cheked those dampers. All dampers looking good as new, but, hard as stone! No more low end noise after new dampers:).

#5 ·
and the dampers are a pretty easy replacement, shame it wasnt done with the stator if thats what it is. I was warned by Ron aka the professor to do mine when I did my stator and didnt listen, I was worried about money. I was lucky a couple years later I had to fix an oil leak so while I had it out that time I replaced my dampers and did the stator plate mod. 46,000 miles now. knock on wood!

#7 ·
Thanks guys,
I don't know for sure what the problem is. It doesnt seem to vibrate, but maybe i'm used to it. Is there a good thread on dampers? Also, Is it possible that the stater is loose or off center? The noise is not on each stroke per say. it may chatter twice then once then quiet, etc.
This site is the best!!!

#8 ·
Check out my avatar pics on Damper damage....requires an engine pull to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.