2000 VN750 Engine for sale *details* - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

2000 VN750 Engine for sale *details*

24k miles.
Cranks and Runs.

****CARBS NOT INCLUDED****

The biggest issue with the engine is the high-frequency shallow rhythmic tap (like tapping a screw driver on an aluminum ladder) at idle. It disappears at 4-5k rpm.
it is NOT a rod or piston knock. such knock would not become inaudible at higher rpms.

I'm fed up with this engine and I don't want to work on it anymore. I've already replaced the ACCT Tensioners with MCCT ones, replaced the cam chain guides on the front cylinder, and cleaned the water pump under intense scrutiny. I have procrastinated about taking the engine back out to find out what is wrong but I simply just do not want to mess with it anymore.
I am simply going to buy a new engine off the internet and be done with it. In order to do that, I need to sell this engine first ... and I am hoping to get somewhere around $400 for it. It is an easy fix for someone with the patience, time and tools.

If you live somewhere in GA, FL, AL, I am in Northern FL, around the Paxton\Florala area. I would prefer a LOCAL PickUp. I will ship but I can not cover the shipping costs.

PM

Last edited by CoffeeSon; 08-12-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

I know you're fed up with working on that engine but it could simply be the normal sound for these unusually noisy engines. Still, kinda sounds like a collapsed lifter and you're hearing the rocker arm flipping around tapping the cam and valve stem.

Have you checked your valve clearances?

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

I doubt the valve clearances were checked, the mechanic I had work on it didn't check them; we were focused mainly on the cam chain guides on the front cylinder and I was too impatient to want to check everything else out.

I wish I was more patient...

Valve clearances ..... what does that entail? I know what the valves are, but I'm having trouble grasping what the clearance would be for? ....... like how far is moves down into the combustion chamber when they're open? or how far they are away from the top of the cam shaft housing?

EDIT-UPDATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYb_W3fk-vw

This is what the tapping sounds like in the engine .... but changing the ACCT to the MCCT didn't help. The only difference between this video and what my engine has is the taps go away at 4-5k rpm and you only hear a faint tap every now and then. I may not sell the engine if this sound can lead me to the right direct... I do not want to go over the whole engine from top to bottom, but I will go to the biggest possibility just "one more time" lol.

After that, I'm done foolin around with it - whether it works or not hah.

Last edited by CoffeeSon; 08-13-2014 at 12:46 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I doubt it's valve clearances since the valves are non adjustable. Are you sure you tightened the mcct tight enough?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I doubt it's valve clearances since the valves are non adjustable. Are you sure you tightened the mcct tight enough?
pretty sure. I'll go over them again and make sure, but it seems I'm gonna be tearing down this pos again lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
another option is the ballancers
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

unfamiliar with these "balancers", what are they? O.o
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Jack of all trades

Balance dampers.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
Sponsored Links