Orleans for sale - $2K OBO - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Angry Orleans for sale - $2K OBO

For those of you who aren't familiar with the proper way to swear on this site, "_(*&#@%_*)%_*_+*)%@_()*[email protected]#$+*)@#%+)([email protected]+%I." And then some.

Here's the deal. Got the coolant pipe back into the block, sealed (a little permanently, but the levees are holding and that's all that matters), put H2O in last night and again this a.m., no problems. Hooray! So just now I thought, "well, heck put the oil in and fire 'er up!" So I went to put a new washer on the oil drain plug and lo and behold if Orleans didn't pee on me. Pure water. WTF? Now the bike hasn't been turned over since I installed the mechanical seal, and maybe the engine needs to start before that sets itself in the block. But I can conceive of no other reason - having been all through that case - why water added "as if" it were coolant would come shooting out of the oil drain plug.

Any ideas? Any buyers> The tins are painted, clearcoated, and just need to be sanded and buffed. The engine's been rebuilt, and most parts have been replaced.

Since I'm on the verge of either parting her out, selling her wholesale, or destroying her with a Motivator, feel free to call me with your thoughts and ideas (301.834.6555). This is definitely gonna make it or break it.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 10-02-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM

That sounds terminal. I think it needs last rites. Something isn't seated well internally in that block
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by free wheel-e View Post
That sounds terminal. I think it needs last rites. Something isn't seated well internally in that block
Can you explain to me how the coolant pipes coming out of the block (the return pipes) seal off from the oil in the case? I narrowed it down to those - in troubleshooting this evening (as opposed to just shooting), I have a very distant memory that I was never able to pull the coolant pipe on the front cyl. Trust me, it will be pulled and replaced - but are there o-rings or other gaskets where the pipes are in the block that might be the source of the problem? Thanks for responding - I am sooooooooooooo depressed.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Cindy -

Haven't you gone too far to give up now?

Where is the water coming out of? Did you check the orings on top of the valve covers? All hoses seated and tight? Radiator cap on correct and tight?

Go back over all your water connections and make sure they are right.

If the water is coming off the drain plug, it will do that if it's leaking anywhere on the motor as it's the lowest point.

I bet you've missed something simple.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
Cindy -

Where is the water coming out of? Did you check the orings on top of the valve covers? All hoses seated and tight? Radiator cap on correct and tight?

Go back over all your water connections and make sure they are right.

If the water is coming off the drain plug, it will do that if it's leaking anywhere on the motor as it's the lowest point.

I bet you've missed something simple.

Jon
Everything's good with the hoses ('cept the coolant pipes, per above). Do tell, however...o-rings on top of the valves? I checked the fiche and didn't see any o-rings on the valves per se - some retaining rings, but not o-rings. We talking about the same valves?

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 10-02-2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Checked Ayers' site for more info
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Everything's good with the hoses ('cept the coolant pipes, per above). Do tell, however...o-rings on top of the valves? I checked the fiche and didn't see any o-rings on the valves per se - some retaining rings, but not o-rings. We talking about the same valves?
Cindy -

There is a hose that goes from each cylinder head to the thermostat housing.
The aluminum elbow that secures to each head with a single screw has an oring on it.

Part number 670 here http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_02...0&parent=10700.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
Cindy -

There is a hose that goes from each cylinder head to the thermostat housing.
The aluminum elbow that secures to each head with a single screw has an oring on it.

Part number 670 here http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_02...0&parent=10700.

Jon
Thanks, Jon. It was the "valves" that threw me (you said "valves," I heard "Engine pull"). The left side/rear cyl pipe does indeed have its -o-ring firmly attached. The right side/front cyl pipe remains a mystery...although I think we can deduce yay or nay on that one. I splooted that one hard with PB Blaster ust now and will soak it for a couple more days, then torch it...I mean, uh, take the propane torch to it to loosen it up. It's got a lot of corrosion, so I'm guessing it the source of the troubles.

Thank you, Jon!! Let me know when you want to borrow that rotor puller!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Cindy, I'm sorry to here how things are going. I can't help but wonder if the new gasket you put on the "right side engine case" could have maybe creesed or ripped when you where puting that on. After all oil & water run through that same case. If it didn't seat right, the coolant would deffinatly leak into the oil/engine. But it sounds like you've had the whole thing apart. I've only been in that side.... Wow, I just looked through the manual. There's more than a couple of spots it could leak. What as been dissasembled? Cylinder Heads? We can get this going!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Cindy, you're amazing!!!!...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
Cindy, you're amazing!!!!...
You guys are sweet - it's a new day, and although I'm still crabby about the whole thing, I'm ready to try again. Kanuck, you are spot-on about the right-side gasket - however, I replaced that (again) when I mucked around with the coolant pipe, and am pretty darned sure that's on correctly (having now installed the right side gasket several times on these things).

I'm gonna order to upper coolant pipes from Ayers today, along with the o-rings, and see what I can do. I realized - sometime in the middle of the night - that I've never really had Orleans running in any reasonable state, so there's no telling what else might be wrong. HOPEFULLY, it's just this "simple" thing and all the other engine work is ok.

Thanks for everyone's support. I'll let you know when she's back on the auction block!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement