2004 VN750 sale (gauging interest/advice) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

2004 VN750 sale (gauging interest/advice)

I'm thinking about getting rid of my 2004 VN750 sometime this spring.

Unfortunately, life has changed quite dramatically since I stared riding in 2009. Since then, we've had two kids, one premature and the other with failure to thrive feeding issues. Both are happy and healthy now, thank the Lord, but obviously life has gotten a bit too busy for a bike in my life right now.

I know that you people here have been some of the friendliest I've found when I first got started, and I wanted to give first crack to anyone here that might be interested. I can post some pics, but it's a pretty standard setup (see my avatar). Nothing special was done to it before I got it and I just changed the oil and rode it.

Here's the bad part. I last rode the bike in the fall of 2009 and my son was born early 2010. It ran like a dream when I put it up in the garage, but I did not do anything special to "winterize" it, just parked it in the garage and then life happened. I have kept it on a battery tender all this time, but I've only tried to start it once a coupe of years ago for fear of damaging something because it had sat. It only has 9k miles on it, so I don't want to do any permanent damage to it, but I just don't have the time nor the skills to properly bring it up to speed.

A) Is anyone in or close to the greater Cincinnati area that is looking to acquire my ride or B) does anyone have some simple suggestions on how to at least do some minor maintenance so that I can start it up for a potential buyer with confidence? I would've loved to have used my time with this bike to greatly expand my mechanical inclination, but alas, that was not to be.

Apologies for the meandering post. It has really been a heart wrenching decision to get rid of this bike. I have loved owning it, but I am not at a place in life where I can properly take care of it or enjoy it. And I'd like someone else to have that blessing.

Thank you,
04newbie

2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 "Serenity"
Changed Oil/Filter and Coolant
Installed Big Crank ETX15L Battery w/charger hookups
Duct-taped retention safety for toolbox door
New OEM clutch lever replaced after first tipover
Plan on: changing brake fluid, coastering, lubing splines, relocating R/R, new saddlebags, highway pegs, windshield.
Scratch that...make that getting her ready for sale. Nope, scratch THAT! I'm keeping her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 AM

Theres a buncha good boys in Ohio...the Buckeye Bunch....but aint you in Kentucky ????

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

I am, but in the Northern tip, just 12 miles south of Cincy.

Plan on: changing brake fluid, coastering, lubing splines, relocating R/R, new saddlebags, highway pegs, windshield.
Scratch that...make that getting her ready for sale. Nope, scratch THAT! I'm keeping her!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:34 AM

We got brothers al around ya....check the member map....hell, decent enough price, Ive seen folks go 1500 miles to buy a bike....

Just sayin, yer askin Ohio when yer in KY....folks interested will wanna know where exactly it is....pictures will help ya sell it oo.....

Just tryin to help ya brother.....

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Wolfie, this is exactly why I wanted to start this process here. I'll try to do all you recommend in the coming days. Wanted to get the ball rolling though because it's already been nice enough here to be out riding, although it DID snow today, crazy. I will ask a reasonable price, especially with the neglected state she's in currently. She's a great ride, potentially get top dollar for her if I had been on top of the maintenance. But I'm hoping there's someone out there with the knowledge and skills to do a little carb cleaning, clean out the tank and other fluids, and I believe they'd find themselves a very solid motorbike.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 AM

I remember yer bike's name....I think ya posted pics once....and ya....supposed to snow here too tonight, lol.....life in the Appalachians, lol....

Best of luck to ya brother.....

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Mod

You'll get way more for it if it's running. Not any real problems if you change the gas and oil. Give it a shot. Then take her for a spin and remember why you bought her.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement Wolfie and BH!

I have accepted the challenge to get this black beauty back to a running condition. So far, I've changed the oil and filter and drained the gas from the tank. I didn't remove the tank, but I stuck a suction hose way down in there and evacuated about 6 quarts of gas! She appears to be mostly empty and the gas was very clean looking and I saw ZERO signs of rust inside the tank.

My hope is that tomorrow I can do the coolant change and reinsert the battery and some fresh gas and fire her back up. If that works, then I'll give her a much deserved bath and post some pics. I would very much like to keep her, but like I mentioned, I neither have the space in the garage nor time to devote to this right now.

But I won't lie. The more I turn that wrench, the more the love is returning...

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
...Then take her for a spin and remember why you bought her.
Dammit, it didn't even take that much Bird.

This week I've been reorganizing our garage. Like seriously re-doing it, not just moving things around. Building loft areas for seldom used stuff and installing shelving for all sorts of bottles and such. And as I've been doing it, I've kept an eye out for just how in the world can I get both cars, all our stuff, AND the Vulcan in here. It's going to take some doing, but I think I can make it work. Just knowing that even if I can take only a few day trips around the area once in awhile, it'll give me a smile you can't wipe off my fact. Once I get her back to where she should be maintenance wise, I intend on keeping her there this time. And with an organized garage full of tools and cleaning/maintenance supplies, it should be much easier.

I guess ya'll ain't getting rid of me this easy after all! Thanks for the support you've already provided and that I'm sure I'll rely on in the future!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:16 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Good battery, good fuel, ready to ride! Probably less work than you think. Keep the bike! Ride it occasionally long enough to blow the cobwebs off it and keep it, You'll be happy you did and as the kids get a little older you'll have more time to ride it bringing peace to your life.

Every Dad needs a space to get away occasionally.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement