Looking for "ears" or advice. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Looking for "ears" or advice.

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of going through a '90 vn750. When I got it, I noticed the ears are both missing. I'm debating about replacing them...or just going ahead and "de-earing" the bike. I just don't want to spend much on this process...and I know that I will probably end up needing to rejet, etc. if I go to a pod filter setup, etc.

Thoughts? Ears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:06 AM

Garage
if the airbox under the tank is still there, then you could replace the ears....if not, you are better off doing the "ear shave" procedure which requires rejetting the carbs.

It really is a personal preference. for me, I am keeping the ears because I am concerned with water getting into the pod filters in heavy rain. That is just my opinion, you might not ride in bad weather and not think of that as an issue.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM

If you do decide to do the ear shave I currently have both K&N filters from my son's bike available for $50 bucks shipped in the CONUS. We did the shave as his bike was also missing an ear when we picked it up. New the filters are like 45 each.

- Mntsnow -
1988 VN750 - Fixing up for my son!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Just a regular guy

Welcome to the site... it really is personal preference... but if you're looking for the cheapest way out kc is right, if you have the airbox, buying some ears and filter(I have a set of ears, no filters if you want to buy them cheap) would be the way to go. I have converted to the pod filters and happened to get caught in a very heavy down pour and I was still able to ride highway speeds with zero problem from water getting into the filters.... but that was just my experience.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 PM

To backup what Chris has said...I've ridden my harley which uses a LARGE K&N pod filter which is fully exposed for days in down pours without issue so the pods on the VN are tucked under the tank pretty well so you shouldn't have any weather problems really.

- Mntsnow -
1988 VN750 - Fixing up for my son!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

For those of you who have shaved the ears. How much of an issue is the rejet? Costly, or pretty easy swap?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Just a regular guy

The jets are cheap as dirt... I think I paid $15... the pod filters and the crankcase breather filter are a tad more expensive. I think total it cost me about $130... if I remember correctly.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Garage
don't misunderstand....I wasn't trying to say that rain would be a reason to NOT do the ear shave.....just that you should consider everything beforehand and make your own decision.

I don't think the parts are all that expensive to do the ear shave...it's a matter of pulling the carbs to do the work....time consuming and the carbs are a really tight fit.

CLICK ME! for the ear shave procedure.

somewhere on this site there is a list of jets and needles required depending on your elevation.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 PM
2014 KLR 650!

I shaved a did not rejet and the bike runs fine. Ive ordered new jets just to see how mucb better it might be. I guess we have plenty of room to roam if we can turn the mix out two plus turns with the stock jets. Im at just 650ft above fyi.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Garage
turning out the idle mix screws only really effects idle....I bet you are running a bit lean above 2Krpm.....check your plugs to make sure you are not too lean...that could cause problems with overheating the valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement