WTB: 85 vulcan 700 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

WTB: 85 vulcan 700

I know this is probably a futile effort on this forum, but figured why not...

I've barely even begun riding my 99 VN750 and already I can tell that I would like to have an 85 VN700 for a project/restoration bike. I really like the black engine/wheels. I'd like to find one for cheap or free-for-hauling that's laying in someone's garage or barn.

If anyone knows of one in or around KY let me know.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
SOLD! 1999 Vulcan 750 | Pics (bought 3/29/2013 with 5657 miles)
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 PM

Personally, I like the 700 better, since it has heavier cyl sleeves. Then again, Im biased. I suggest checking Craigslist, even out of your area. M_Angell had one in Mich, but most is gone now. I got the engine... *weg*

700s will be rare, since were only made for the US and only one year....if youre looking for a nice resto, can I suggest an EN 454LTD ? More common, easier to find parts, and they are out there, cheap....I sold one sans title, for $100, almost complete, and a buddy got one for $60 at a scrapyard which was a roller with engine. They were nice bikes too...ENs make nice bobbers too because of the frame config. Single backbone.

...oh, by the way....you can paint your engine black if ya want...just use VHT paint...mine was black already, I went over it with a black wrinkle finish...

Last edited by Wolfie; 04-23-2013 at 10:32 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Personally, I like the 700 better, since it has heavier cyl sleeves. Then again, Im biased. I suggest checking Craigslist, even out of your area. M_Angell had one in Mich, but most is gone now. I got the engine... *weg*

700s will be rare, since were only made for the US and only one year....if youre looking for a nice resto, can I suggest an EN 454LTD ? More common, easier to find parts, and they are out there, cheap....I sold one sans title, for $100, almost complete, and a buddy got one for $60 at a scrapyard which was a roller with engine. They were nice bikes too...ENs make nice bobbers too because of the frame config. Single backbone.

...oh, by the way....you can paint your engine black if ya want...just use VHT paint...mine was black already, I went over it with a black wrinkle finish...
Wolfie is right here and I get where you are coming from. I liked the blacked out vn's. Click on my user name above and select view public profile in the drop down .When you get to my home page look at my albums,I painted my engine black,sanded and filed the cooling fins and masked off my wheels and painted them With semigloss BBQ Grill and Stove paint .I took it a step further and painted the fork sliders and cleared them and put Black Bars from J.C.Whitney on it too.You can have the look for cheap,but it is a lot of work.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Jack of all trades

Lol still have the one in my garage that I'm going to put together for my wife. I'll keep an eye open for another 700 in my area. If its cheap enough, who knows you might be able to make the drive to pick it up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

It'd have to be super-cheap... I think I'm at the limit of my motorcycle spending as far as the wife is concerned lol...

Wolfie, I thought about the 454, also really like the old kz-440s, but after having my VN750, I think I'd rather have another bike of the same model to restore, just for simplicity and testing purposes between the 2 bikes. I'm a smart guy, but don't have any motorcycle mechanical experience so I'd like to keep my learning curve down to 1 model of bike for now.

About painting the engines, seems like I read a post on here where somebody painted theirs and it caused overheating issues? Is that a problem, or did they have some other issue going on?

\m/ Jaymz \m/
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Jack of all trades

They must have had some other issue going on. Water cooled engines are hard to overheat if the cooling system is in proper working order.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Well that makes me feel a little better about maybe just finding ANY other 750 to try it on then. I don't really want to take mine down to do it because it's my only bike, plus I'd like to keep it as "stock" as possible. Still would prefer an 85, but I'll broaden my search to any ol' free vulcan 700/750 I can find

\m/ Jaymz \m/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM

The most common mistake that tends to overheat engines, is wrapping the fwd tubes and still keeping a restrictive exhaust....
I forget who (sorry to whoever....Mike maybe ?) used an anodizing like paint on the engine (red)...came out looking frickin HOT !!!!!....only paint I can see causing overheating would be undercoating, aluminum based paint, or a heavy coat of SherwinWilliams latex, lol....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement