WTB: Crossover pipe - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

WTB: Crossover pipe

Went to a couple muffler shops this morning to get a feel for crossover pipe to degoat my ride.

Anyone have a pre-made crossover pipe for degoating? Just checking before I have to have one made at muffler $hop...

Figure someone may have converted to V&H or some other aftermarket system.

I am also open to suggestions. Plan is to install a set of Sportster muffs and still be able to use the chrome trim to hide crossover connections. PLUS I really don't want the new muffs to extend too far back. A few inches past current I can handle, but not past rear wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebezer View Post
Went to a couple muffler shops this morning to get a feel for crossover pipe to degoat my ride.

Anyone have a pre-made crossover pipe for degoating? Just checking before I have to have one made at muffler $hop...

Figure someone may have converted to V&H or some other aftermarket system.

I am also open to suggestions. Plan is to install a set of Sportster muffs and still be able to use the chrome trim to hide crossover connections. PLUS I really don't want the new muffs to extend too far back. A few inches past current I can handle, but not past rear wheel.
Scootworks used to sell the kits ,but lately I have been hearing bad things about his service.So if he still sells them ,buyer beware.

Just a suggestion here but if you are going to do this get the muffler shop cut the pipes to where the muffler tips will be even on the ends rather than one side sticking back further than the other like stock ones do.To me, that was just weird.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I agree!

That is the plan. I thought the same thing. If weather permits, I may be poking around on my bike this afternoon to try and see other options. What effect would leaving the goat's belly on have other than a little quieter and still have that weight? Is a welded pipe more efficient or does it just drop the weight and make for a deeper tone?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
That is the plan. I thought the same thing. If weather permits, I may be poking around on my bike this afternoon to try and see other options. What effect would leaving the goat's belly on have other than a quieter and still have that weight? Is a welded pipe more efficient or does it just drop the weight and make for a deeper tone?
I believe the weight is only
10 lbs or less.... loss of bulk ....yes
Tone unk !
i

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 01-27-2013 at 06:13 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM

Garage
There are many who will argue with me on this, but I think that if you bypass the belly you will get a more defined "popping" sound. The loudness depends on what muffler and baffles you use.

I prefer the rumble that the belly provides with a more open muffler. I think the "tone" is deeper and less "popping". How loud you make will again depend on the muffler/baffle configuration. The chamber in the belly equalizes the the pressure like a crossover pipe, but is resonates better and provides that "rumble" I am looking for. It also maintains some back pressure which the engine appreciates.

I am not a fan of the sound of open pipes on the highway....that's just my preference tough.

I drilled holes in my baffles to allow more sound through and it still sounds good, but not very loud. The next experiment for me is to install a set of VN750 mufflers which I completely removed the baffles from. I left the inner "screen" so it wouldn't be completely open.

I am sure it will be closer to what I want in a tone. If it is too loud, I still have my original mufflers that I can drill a few more holes into to back plate and open up the baffles a bit.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM

Okie...gimme a few days...may be able to set you up...the EN I have uses a crossover that I wont be using. I may be able to rig it up for ya...supposed to warm up a lot next few days...I'll hobble over to the garage and check.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Garage
The EN454 has a basic crossover under the engine. I know because mine got crushed...don't ask! IIRC they are part of each header and join in the middle.

That works because the left and right exhausts are the same length and the crossover is pretty far up near the headers.

then again...the EN has a totally different muffler...like a trumpet...lol
not sure what the innards look like on the EN muffs, but I remember them being pretty restrictive, so there is plenty of back pressure on them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM

But so are the stock Sporty muffs (baffled)...better baffles than the VN...to equalize pressure, the VN crossover is better staggered (like the belly)....but after, can be ended the same.
Ill check my old Harley pipes for ya too...wanna try out my new welding wire anyway...

Last edited by Wolfie; 01-27-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add pic
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate that Wolfie. Let me know what you find. I had found a nice set of the Sportster muffs on eBay awhile back and they've been teasing me sitting here in their box next to my easy chair ever since. No marks or rash on them anywhere. Will look good under that tin.

Thanks for all the info guys! I am looking forward to getting these all set up. I am a little OCD and the way the muffs staggered at the back always bugged me. My plan is to even them out with the Sportsters.

I may have found local exhaust shop that can do the deed. Was referred by an auto repair shop that farms their exhaust work there. Exhaust man is a biker also and has done a lot of bike work.

Last edited by Okiebezer; 01-29-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: missed info from previous post, not enough coffee
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Appreciate that Wolfie. Let me know what you find. I had found a nice set of the Sportster muffs on eBay awhile back and they've been teasing me sitting here in their box next to my easy chair ever since. No marks or rash on them anywhere. Will look good under that tin.

Thanks for all the info guys! I am looking forward to getting these all set up. I am a little OCD and the way the muffs staggered at the back always bugged me. My plan is to even them out with the Sportsters.

I may have found local exhaust shop that can do the deed. Was referred by an auto repair shop that farms their exhaust work there. Exhaust man is a biker also and has done a lot of bike work.
Okie,,
Before you go paying to have a cross over made. I just went through the whole process of swapping out the stock muffs/then drilling the baffles/removing them completely/removing the belly/putting it back in/changing out to HD mufflers with and w/o the belly/ on on and on and on.

In my opinion the best tone/sound I got was with the HD mufflers with the baffles removed and the Belly in place. It has a really nice low grumble to it.
I'm putting together a step by step of how I did it with a parts list and a recording of the sound. If you give me a day or two I should have it posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement