Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

WTB vn750 sidestand and pivot bolt

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  The DEUCE 
#1 ·
My sidestand is wearing badly at the top where it is forked, along with the mounting lug on the frame.
The bolt has also worn oblong, along with the mounting hole.

If anyone has a good sidestand and the pivot bolt to hold it on for sale, please pm me.

I`m going to have to build up the backside of the worn lug with a MIG welder I guess, then grind or file it to fit the "fork" on a new sidestand.

This sidestand wear must be a common problem.
Will "moly" grease lubricate this joint enough to minimize wear?
Anyone have any good solutions?

#2 ·

#8 ·
Deuce and I carried on correspondence by PM.
Parts received today in mail as pictured.
Thanks Deuce. :smiley_th

#5 ·
It might be interesting to try making a bushing myself to keep for any future repairs.
What kind of steel did you use for the bushing? --pipe? --bar stock?

How long ago did you install the bushing?
Mabe a better indication of side stand use is how many miles ago was it installed?
And is most of your riding long country jaunts with few stops, or short commutes with a lot of stops?
How is it holding up to wear?

Do you remember what the OD of your bushing was?
Sorry for all the questions. :blah:

#4 ·
Thanks Duece, PM sent.

#6 ·
I used a scrap piece of 4140 steel rod turned down on a lathe. I don't remember the dimensions and just scrapped the frame with the side stand attached last weekend so I can't measure it any more. What you want about 1/8" wall left after you bore it for a slip fit on the bolt. If you go too big, the head of the bolt won't hold things together any more.

#7 ·
Thanks Kennyw. I should be able to figure it out from that info. :smiley_th

#9 ·
You are very welcome OlHoss!

Glad to have been able to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.