testing the waters...light bar and possibly LED turn signal boards - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
testing the waters...light bar and possibly LED turn signal boards

OK...I figured I would post to see if anyone would be interested in either of these projects I am working on.
-------------------------------------------------

my version of a light bar.
They are completely hand made of aluminum stock and brazed together. They are bolt on....using the existing holes that hold the horn bracket on the VN750. All you would need to do is replace the existing bolts with a longer set and add a spacer under the bracket (I used an over sized nut). They will be drilled for the mounting, but not drilled to accept the light pods you are using. I will finish them to a sanded and lightly polished finish.

This is what it will basically look like (without the holes on the square posts):

You can drill the posts to your liking for mounting whatever you decide to use as light pods. They can mount facing up, out to the sides, or underneath the bar as you like.

You can see how mine looks in my album:
Optronics Light install Bracket Ver. 2
https://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=470

I am thinking around $55 +shipping (EDIT on 6/17/12) each should cover materials and labor. I am not trying to get rich on this....just offering a bolt on alternative that looks decent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also making LED drop in boards that add running lights to the rear signal stalks, but these will require either replacing the rear stalks with front stalks, or I can tell you how I modified mine and replaced the existing socket with a dual filament socket , or running a wire for the running light from the tail light to the stalks. They can also be used to replace the front turn signals if made with only amber LED's

The boards will be similar to the dynamic cluster type sold online for 60 bucks a pair +shipping (EDIT on 6/17/12). I can probably make them as:
1) only amber turning lights
2) amber turn/amber running lights (for the front)
3) red running/amber turn (for the rear)
4) red running/ amber turn/ high intensity red brake (which requires even more mods to work).

not sure of the price on this yet, but they will be around $60/pair for all of the above except option 4, which would be more.

these are also hand made including the production of the Printed Circuit board.
I will try to post photos of this soon, or check my albums for when I add the photos.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
These are not going to be mass produced and flawless...they may not be perfect, but will function fine.

Anyway....if this is something people are interested in, I would love to hear feedback and suggestions on this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by kc2dgq; 06-17-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: proposed pricing changes (EDIT on 6/17/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 PM
knees in the breeze!!!

what about mounting the light bar to the horn bracket itself. (where the horns actually mount) would that snug it up under the light more and cause the driving lights to be inline with the headlight

http://map.vulcan750.net/

VROC# 33976
1994 VN750

MODS SO FAR:
honda shadow 750 sissybar
ear shaved, K&N pods
142/42 jets, Cobra pipes
oversized tires, vn800 seat
vn750 rad cover, Tank bib
custom mirrors, gel battery
led dash lights, led tail light
led plate light, chrome levers
horn relocation, custom voltmeter
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think Knifemaker's design was more in tune with that concept.

I suppose you could do that, but the holes at the bottom of the horn bracket are directly into the heavy bracket on the forks themselves.

I didn't go that route because I wanted a "triangle" of lights....and it is much more sturdy where I have it. If the bar were mounted on the top of the horn bracket, I would think it would vibrate more causing the lights to be constantly shaking. I also wanted the plastic cover for the horn bracket to be put back in place when mounted.

The other problem I had with mounting it higher would be that the blinkers would get lost and not be as visible to oncoming traffic. I may even flip my lights over to he hung under the bracket to get more separation from the signal lamps...and a better "triangle" of lights.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
bump.....I have one light bar made if anyone wants one.
Is the lack of response due to the proposed pricing?

I was really hoping to get some feedback, so let er rip!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
my biggest problem with your lightbar is that its flatstock instead of round bar. IMHO a round lightbar would look better.. especially with and engine guard. another reason you aren't getting much response is... your light bars are very easy to replicate in a basic garage.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I realize it looks pretty simple, and not made of round bar and chromed....but you can get those for a couple of hundred dollars online.

Round aluminum bar tends to be weak, and steel would require welding and chrome finish to look good....unless you painted it I suppose(not to mention the added weight). which is why I came up with this design.

My intention was to offer an inexpensive bolt on bar for those that do not have the ability to fabricate their own. I think this bar is sturdy as hell and looks decent even if it isn't round bar and chromed....imho.

If anyone is interested, just PM me.

Photos and details about the LED boards are coming soon. I have a set installed on my bike and they are working flawlessly (as is the light bar).
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Actually looking at how you mounted your lights and how I mounted mine:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1490874152/

I don't really see much diffrence position wise. Mine seem to be more "triangulated" to me..... I used square aluminum tubing. Saying "Round aluminum bar tends to be weak" is silly, round tubing is very strong... If it's wall thickness is sufficient. Hey they make frames out of tubing don't they? Lol.

I sold my bar for 65 bucks and that included the lights a switch and wiring instructions. I think you'd have more takers if you had lights already installed on the bars. (If you buy them by the case of six you can get the Optronics lights for alot less than Wal-mart sells them.)

And by the way, mounting them to the rubber damped horn mounts actually kept them from shaking due to engine vibration.

You do have a good simple design, I just think you'd sell more if the lights were included.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
from Tofer76: "what about mounting the light bar to the horn bracket itself. (where the horns actually mount) would that snug it up under the light more and cause the driving lights to be inline with the headlight "

from KM: "I don't really see much diffrence position wise. Mine seem to be more "triangulated" to me"

I should have specified that if KM had mounted his on top of the bar as opposed to hanging below, it would be more inline with the headlight.

in any event, it is obvious that there seems to be little or no interest in this bar so I am not going to pursue this on this thread any longer. If someone wants info or wants one for themselves, you can PM me and we can negotiate a price that works for you.

As far as the lights go, If anyone is interested in a custom made LED board, contact me as well.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
in any event, it is obvious that there seems to be little or no interest in this bar so I am not going to pursue this on this thread any longer.
...dont you dare !!!!!!!!....you come up here one day, FOR the day, and I'll feed ya and we'll work on it...this thing has merit...just because a few pooed it, dont mean squat !!! (they envious !)...just the peanut gallery....quitters dont ride with The Wolf...and that aint happenin with you bro...yer cursed with me forever....lol, like it or not...

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:08 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

I have interest in the bar...been watching the progress/comments. I am definitely interested in light triangulation. Bring the bar on.. !

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement