Looking to flip a vn700 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Looking to flip a vn700

I just found the next bike that I want, a VMax. So I thought that I would try to pick up a bike to ďflipĒ. I picked this up for $335, sight unseen and the previous owner had said that it starts but wonít run, because he somehow managed to break both throttle cables. Here are the photos he has sent. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like it has an aftermarket purple pearlescent paint, Harley soft saddle bags and an aftermarket windshield. I have just bought new fork seals, a new pull throttle cable, and new brake pads for the front. I want something thatíll be road worthy for whomever purchases it, and I will grease the rear splines, and change all of the fluids, spark plugs and filters. It had a clean title, but I will probably have to title it myself to resell it (I donít know, just speculation) so thatíll probably be another $125. I was hoping that I could spend no more than $550 and sell it for 1-1.2k. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

It has a reupholstered seat, and I have the stock sissy bar and cover from my 750.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 01:10 AM

Try about 30-40 mph, stand on the pegs, and grab the front brake with all you've got. Should flip pretty quick.

But seriously, that's probably a decent price for a turnkey bike that you've made running and presentable. Might make more selling parts, but we know how long that takes, how many messages, packing, shipping, etc., etc.

Looks like a repaint judging by how the paint lifted by the gas cap. It's unique, it's the 700!

Seems like I heard the carbs are real PITA on the VMax. Owners all said they liked the bike, but there was something that made it a PITA if you had to deal with it. When those first came out new I wanted one bad.

But are you talking about a vintage VMax, or a new one? Damn new one is rated 145hp! The '85 was rated 113hp, still smokin' though.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Looking to flip a vn700

Hahaha youíre a funny guy. So my friend was trying to sell me his VRod (beat to hell and back with a stage 3 kit) for way too much for how he treated it. It does have the Porsche engine, which is cool. So my cousin told me to look into the VMax. I was looking at the 2009, if I can find one reasonably... but I did find a 2006 which has the power you stated for $3-4k. 2009 they received the 1700cc motor. I would imagine the carbs are a PITA. They have this design where at 6000 rpm, a butterfly valve opens abs dumps more fuel into each cylinder. Hereís what I found on it when looking up the specs. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Do note the hp difference. From what Iíve read, the 179 is at the tire.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:

Last edited by MSattler; 04-14-2020 at 07:06 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:09 PM
Boy Howdy !!

Whenever I find a Vulcan that has been sitting awhile (by that I mean years) I find, on most, the Stator is having problems. I own a 700 and love the fact it was Kawasaki's first V-twin, the only year with black on the engine, it purr's going 70 on the freeway but the best thing about the 700 is... it is surprisingly fast.

VN-700 / Ca. model
M.F.G. Date / 11/84
Vulcan off the line / #003216
Mile's / # 06288.2
A.F.T. battery
New stater
New starter
Rewired bike with 18 gage
NGK DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs
New gas lines
Rebuild carburetor with new O-rings
Rebuilt cooling system
Replaced master cylinder glass
Trimmed base on rear turn signal's

=========================

The Greatest tragedy
is indifference
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

I really hope the stator isnít going bad! Iíve yet to pull the engine on one, but it doesnít seem fun. Power wise, is it about the same as the 750?

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Tipped over in the truck. Itís a weird copper color

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement