Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

'85 VN700 for sale in Jacksonville, FL

880 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ldefoggi 
#1 ·
Up for sale is a 1985 VN700. The engine runs great, and has 180lbs of compression on each cylinder, BUT the trans will not shift past first gear. I have tried everything I know to try and I am no motorcycle mechanic so I don't know what else to do. I have split the case twice and follow the manual to the "T" on re-assembly. I never saw any trans damage while it was apart, and like I said, I followed the manual to the "T" for re-assembly. Either way, I have spent enough time and energy on this bike and my '07 Street Bob and '72 GT750 are feeling neglected.

The bike is 98% complete and in decent shape. The tank is dented and there is some minor surface rust on some of the components but overall it's decent. I do not want to part it out, but if it is not sold by the middle of May, I will put it up for parting out. Someone make me an offer and come get this bike out of my garage.

Thanks,
Lance

p.s. I will try to add some picture this evening or tomarrow.

#2 ·
I take it that you mean it won`t shift out of first gear while riding, not sitting with the engine off. MY understanding is that the bike must be moving at some minimum speed to allow the transmission to shift past the neutral finder into second gear. I don`t know if this is any help, but I hate to see you put so much time and effort into the bike and not get to ride it.

#5 ·
...How many miles are on it? Has it been garage kept? Has it ever been dumped or laid down? Do you have the title? How old are the tires? Stuff like that...
There are a little over 30,000 miles on it, it has been garage kept since I have owned it, and the same goes for the previous owner...but as for the origional owner I could not say. I do have a N.C. title for it; I never titled it in my name, but the title is signed by the previous owner and ready to be filled out and transfered. It has been laid down, which is why I rebuilt the engine to begin with, to replace the shift shaft. The only damage I have seen are some scrapes and scratches on the exhaust on the left side. The rear tire is good, the front would need replacing and the front discs and pads look good too. There is rust in what I guess would be the normal locations for these bikes, like the front of the swing arm right below the battery box and rectifier, and on some of the smaller chrome pieces. There is a little rust on the tank where the dents are. The tank, fenders and side covers are gloss black. The cooling system, brakes, and electronics all seem to be good. As I said before, it has 180 pounds of compression per cylinder and the little that I did ride it in 1st gear, it pulls strong and brakes well. The clutch is also in good shape. It still has the center stand and kick stand.

I had every intention of posting pictures this afternoon, however my wife took the camera with her to work today for some reason and she doesn't get home until almost 11 pm. As soon as I get my hands on my camera I will post the pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.