Looks like I need a new front wheel (86) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks like I need a new front wheel (86)

I posted earlier this week that I ran into a big piece of lumber (a 4x4, basically a fence post) on the interstate. Through some combination of grace and luck, I managed to get through it without going down, and my bike SEEMED alright too.

It wasn't until Thursday that I took the bike out again, and I noticed my front tire wasn't holding air very well. I got it changed recently and there has been a slow leak, probably in the bead, but it was so slow that it hasn't been worth it to me to take it back to the shop yet. I was still observing it. So adding air to that tire before riding isn't unusual.

It started to feel a little sloppy after only 5 minutes and a couple of miles. I pulled over and checked the pressure. I had lost 30% of my pressure since leaving the house. I should have stopped at a gas station to fill them up again before returning home, but I risked it and brought the bike home. By the time I got home, it felt quite unsteady, and was down to 5 lbs or so.

Anyway, I took a good look at the front tire and wheel, and then I saw it. My rim is bent a little. Not enough to make it ride poorly, but enough to let a lot of air escape, and I assume the structure of the wheel is compromised, at least a little.

So, I'm in the market for a wheel, I guess. There are some on eBay, of course. Shipping ain't cheap for a wheel, but I should be able to get a decent one for under $100, delivered.

Before I go bidding on some random eBay listing, though, I figured I would check here and see if somebody on the forum has one to sell.

I took the wheel to the shop today to ask their opinion. They said that maybe it could be fixed -- but not by them, and if I could get one for the price I think I can, that it would be better to just replace it. He also recommended replacing the bearings anytime you buy a second hand wheel. Thoughts on that?

Thanks. I'm a little bummed, but mostly I'm happy to be both alive and unhurt. And my bike is fine, I think, other than the wheel. This will make a good practice wheel for future tire changes

1986 Vulcan 750
Purchased June 2018, as a first bike.
Put 1,300 miles on it so far.

AGM Battery, Iridium Plugs
SeaFoam does wonders, and I'm protected by Ride-On
Back tire: Dunlop Challenger.
Front tire: Dunlop Challenger, but about to replace it with a Kenda Cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

fixing a cast wheel... I dont think I would, sure there are people/places that can, but it just goes against *my* judgement.

as for replacing the wheel bearings, I can follow the logic there, and its not a bad idea, as they dont last forever in any case

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 11:07 AM

Keep an eye on ebay, I used to see wheels at really reasonable prices, like around $20. I would expect to see shipping around $40, just based on past purchases. Used to check my search page every day, but it's been a long time since I even opened it.

Is it really obvious that it's bent, or could it be the bead broken in the tire? Maybe remove the tire and check the wheel again?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 11:51 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Yeah, I wouldn’t trust a “repair” on a cast aluminum wheel. There could be internal fractures that could be disastrous later. You could also check local junk yards. Friend found a front wheel for his Suzuki at one (although he had to drive 200 miles to go get it)

Every now and then folks post parting out a Vulcan 700/750 here.
There’s a member parting out a bike here:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/17-sell-...700-parts.html

That and eBay are you other best bets.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 10-27-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:43 PM

What’s your location?
I got a parts bike and a running bike listed above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement