Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Shift Lever Modification Question

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  GuyP 
#1 ·
Has anyone modified or seen a longer rod ( rubber tread covered ) for the shift lever? My big toe is the only part of my foot that hits this rod and it gets very sore after 200 shifts Lol. Seems like it should be about 2 inches longer. Any suggestions. :doh:
Jim

#2 ·
I don't know about a longer one, but I have the Kuryakyn #4036 Shift Peg Cover (http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/913/Shift-Peg-Covers) that helps a lot, and looks great, too. I think I had to use a little piece of rubber as filler, but it was easy to install. Just slice off the stock rubber thingy and clamp on the new one. I also have the Kuryakyn #4029 Brake Pedal Cover.

#3 ·
Thanks Pick. I checked out their site and the covers look good. I might try them if I can't come up with something longer.
Jim

#4 ·
Perhaps you should not wear sandels?

The length of the shift levers "pad" is so you can easily move your toe from under it ...to above it ..and visa versa when shifting gears.

Making it longer would just make your foot do more work. If your shoe is not sturdy enough to handle the shock of moving the lever, you can try padding it with foam, or by using one of these to go over you flimsy shoes ;) :

http://www.allautocenter.com/buy-sh...le-protectors-gear-apparel-parts-accessories/

KM

#5 ·
Thanks. It was only 54 degrees yesterday so sandals were out of the question. I wear soft toe leather boots. Today I went riding again, 50 degrees, and switched rides with a friend who has a 900 Custom. His shifting lever arm was no problem at all. It is 1 inch longer than mine. He did not like my shifter and had the same problem. Both of us have been riding for over 30 years.
Jim

#8 ·
It's also possible that the bike was dropped on the left side at one time and the shift lever was bent in a little. You might try removing the lever and putting it in a vise and bending it slightly outward. It could help. (I wouldn't recommend trying it with the lever still attached.)

#6 ·
It's possible that yours is harder to shift for some reason. Mine is easy and smooth. How long since the oil was changed?

#9 ·
Oil is fresh oil, 15-40 weight Rotella T as suggested on this site. Only 90 miles on the oil change. I wouldn't say my bike shifts hard, but not overly easily either. At the farthest end of the lever shaft there is a metal ridge that holds the rubber sleeve on. It has worn a line in my boot in 90 miles because there is not much surface area for my boot and only my big toe area makes contact. I am going to come up with a longer shaft ( 21/2-2 3/4) cut my old one off, and weld on the longer one. I was hoping there was an easier way to go. I do not have wide feet either.
Thanks for the reply
Jim

#10 ·
Thanks, It is possible that the shift lever could be bent. It does not appear to be, chrome is like new, no scatches or marks. This is my first Vulcan 750 and I have never ridden another one, so I can't say if the lever is bent or not. The lever arm does not come over the footrest very far, maybe 3/4 inch.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.