Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

drilled wrong cap

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  J.D. 
#1 ·
ok so i wanted to drill the a/f caps out. i saw the photos but i didnt work on the bike for a few days after that and my memory must have been fuzzy because i driled the wrong hole. i realized this after gas began dripping out :doh: i have put some jb weld on and im waiting for it to cure (weather is gonna be crappy for a few days anyway) my question is will the jbwld hold and is there a better solution? :confused:

#4 ·
Is the the float bowl drain?

#5 ·
no its right above it... i dont know what it is.. it was plugged with some sort of ...brass??.. ball (gold in color when drilling) i assume it is some sort of deleted "accesory" line for use in another set up on another machine (my best assumption) it dosen't seem to have any function on our bikes (except to confuse i nitwit like my self :doh: )

#6 ·
And to leak out gas when You drill it out................

... i dont know what it is..
it dosen't seem to have any function on our bikes (except to confuse i nitwit like my self :doh: )

#8 ·
why or what was you trying to drill out!

#10 ·
How's the JB holding?

#11 ·
not sure it's coldwet and crappy last few days and I've been working18 hour days. Might get a few hours tonight to give it a test run.

are both cards identical? I was wondering if I could find a single carb and replace it but wasn't sure if I had to get the same exact carb I.e. Front vs back

#12 ·
Tap it and put a bolt in? Molten lead?

#16 ·
Now that I think of it.. I had to do the same trick once before on a Progressive Two Barrel Carb. Th air horn was warped and would pull the screws out of the float bowl as the aluminum heated up... retapped the holes for the next size up screws and jb welded them in as well... just remember that fasteners secured in this manner are to never be taken out

#17 ·
well I took her for a quick 15 mile spin last night with the jb weld all cured up. It seems to be holding nicely. I'll have to take her for another longer ride fri. (going to be 75 degrees here in NJ :) ) are these 2 carbs identical? If I find a single carb to replace this damaged one does it matter if it is the front or read carb? I am going to try and make the jb weldlast until the winter then either lead it or replace it when I remove the carbs to clean them @ the end of the year

#22 ·
The carbs themselves _are_ "mirror images", for all practical purposes. The only difference I've been able to find is the jet needle. If you overhaul a set of carbs, and happen to get them swapped, it don't run worth a crap. (Don't ask...:rolleyes:) If it happens, and you pull the diaphragms and swap the needles (not easy with the carbs on the bike), it runs again.

Jim

#19 ·
Is JB weld is basicly the same thing as those marine epoxy "tubes" that have a core of one agent which is covered by the other. You knead them together and the "putty" dries hard in a specific time frame.??

If so, I had a gash in my fuel tank on my race bike that I just plugged with the stuff...and it held for years...never leaked.

The Marine epoxy is fuel and water resistant..(you can actually repair holes in a boat underwater with it) .....so I would guess JB Weld is simular...but have not used it.

I don't think you are the first one to drill out the wrong spot on a carb......but that group is small..;)

KM

#21 ·
Not the timeliest of responses, but I've been wrestling with the carbs for the last week and I can tell you what that plug does. It seals the end of the tube that the needle slides up and down in. As I recall, there is an offshoot from that tube that goes to the bowl or the ports or something? I'm still learning about these things

My guess as to why the plug is there is that a straight hole was needed for casting purposes. Once the carb body was cast, the molding material could be let out and the hole then sealed.

Just my two cents, could be all wrong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.