Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Long Range Gear Thread

8K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  slimvulcanrider 
#1 · (Edited)
Back Ground:
as many of you guys know I deploy in a little less than one week. what some of you don't know that upon my return I will be hitting the unemployment lines thanks to Oboma's plan to discharge almost 50,000 active duty service members. Now I don't want any discussion on this. I am actually looking at this as an opportunity to go explore the world between Upstate new York and Colorado Springs Colorado.

The trip is a little under 2000 miles. I am going to be embarking on the journey in late spring to early summer of 2012.

I am looking for ideas on equipent for the bike, myself, and simple road side emergency equipment.

Before I leave, I am going to Lube the splines, Replace my tires (thinking about the Metzer 880's), oil change, replace my stator with a TPE (doing the stator cover mod at this time, even though I am going to pull the engine at teh same time to fix a couple of leaks), Shindegen Rectifier, new clutch, New Breaks all the way around, lube the steering bearings, and new NGK Plugs. Any other maintenance things I am over looking?

New equipment for the bike is going to include a luggage rack, saddle bag supports, Hard Bags(?), Trunk (?), a shield or fairing (I want a HD Batwing if I can find one cheap enough), a GPS, Power Accessory Block, Retrofitted Fat Bob Tanks (already been working on this project for a while), Volt Meter, Custom Dash (to house the Volt Meter, stock gauges, ash tray, and drink holder), Floor Boards, and Highway Pegs. Any other ideas?

My current riding gear includes steel toed boots, jeans, leather Jacket, heavy leather duster (for the brisk mornings and cool nights and any other time it might get too chilly for just my jacket), Icon reflective vest, Icon Riding Gloves, and half helmet. I plan on upgrading to a FF Helmet, chaps, riding pants, rain gear (weather isn't going to stop me unless it gets unsafe to ride), and possibly new gloves and gauntlets (maybe heated?) Comments and ideas welcome.

Items to Pack/carry are going to be a sleeping bag, small tool kit, small tarp, rope, spare cloths, water, oil, a couple of MRE's, cell phone, lap top, and a small back packing stove. I am not sure what else to pack yet.

As the title says this is going to be an ongoing thread to be used not only for my self, but for helpful tips and ideas for those planning on doing some long bike trips. So feel free to post comments, links to gear that has worked for you and any thing else that might be relevant to this subject.

HERE is a map of my anticipated rout, if I might be in your area, feel free to send me an email and I will see if updating my rout will work out. A riding buddy, meal stop, night stop, rest stop, must see places along the way ect would be great. This trip isn't about getting to the destination but about enjoying the adventure.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Slim:
Sounds like a great trip. The only omission in the maintenance section might be the swing arm bearings depending on when last serviced. With all the other work, they will be easy to do.
I've been thinking about the metzlers too. If you find a good deal, others will probably be interested. Will you be going oversize?
Hope you have a great ride. If you meet Obama, take him with you. He might learn alot that would help in his current job. I think after the next election, he will have time for some travel too.

Bronson

#3 ·
I am up in the air about going oversized on the tires.. I haven't heard anything bad about going larger, so I might just go ahead and do it. the swing arm was serviced this past season when I had the bike torn apart for a partial rebuild... I even lubed the splines back then... but since I am going on such a long ride, I plan on redoing them for a piece of mind.

I will take into consideration to redo the bearings at the same time.

#4 ·
well, if you are going to replace tires, then you might as well lube the splines too! why not?
as for going oversized on the tires, I would think that with the lager tire size you would be able to carry more cargo because of the higher load capacity with bigger tires. although I maybe wrong about this. but it maybe something to look into.

#5 · (Edited)
Good points ruger

Here is my current luggage set up that I plan on upgrading to hard bags or larger saddle bags, I am going to miss the look of the leather, but I might have to compromise looks over function... Any one know where I can find Harley Like saddle bags and trunks for cheap (besides eBay)?

All in all for the price it worked great for short trips.. they lasted me three seasons, but I cant hold a lot, and they are too soft to try and strap luggage to the top of them.

#9 ·
X2 Thank you for risking your tail to protect ours... and glad to hear you gonna be a civilian!

As far as your trip, I'd try to make it further south to the blue ridge parkway, but that's just me. Don't forget to check/clean/replace your air filters, not sure what setup you've got there. Also, have you got a cup holder? In my opinion, it is a must have for long trips. Fab'd mine with a pipe clamp and an old plastic container for about a buck. As far as luggage, I love my tank bag, it has a waterproof cover with see-through map holder, mp3 port and I can get into it on the fly if I really need to.

#7 ·
thanks its been a great 12 years, but my time is coming to an end, and am looking forward to my pink slip... after the deployment and the road trip I plan on hanging my hat in Colorado, working and riding "The Creep Show" while going back to school as an auto body tech and taking care of semi local VN750 members bikes.

#15 · (Edited)
Gordon need your help... looking for the over sized tire sizes... point me in the right direction please.

Also looking for new bars... I want something similar to the stock bars, I need about 2-6" more pull back and/or 1-3" more rise
Hey slim, here`s a tire thread from the last two days with info on prices and discounts too.
Oversizes are 110/90-19 and 170/80-15.
These guys are more qualified than I am to make tire recommendations.:smiley_th
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17442

Sorry but I don`t know anything about different bars. Can`t help you there.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I will restate a warning that I read on another site. Don`t take off on a long tour just after doing a bunch of modifications, repairs or service work on the bike. This goes double if you did not do the work yourself. Make sure you ride a few hundred miles of *shakedown* cruises close to home after any servicing work to find out any problems, and go over all the fasteners etc. one more time before heading out on the *big one*.

I didn`t see any mention of RideOn sealant/balancer in the tires.
http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

I also suggest taking a Stop and Go *mushroom plug* puncture repair kit and some sort of compact 12V inflator pump.
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

Practice with the plugs a couple of times on the old tire at home, before you need it for real on the road.

Read a hint for using old Subway Sandwich bags pulled over your boots to keep your feet dry and warm in the rain. Might want to save a few to pack with your rain gear. I`ve only ridden in the rain once for about 60 miles and the temperature was probably about 60*F. My round toed and flat heeled western riding boots were getting soaked through and my feet were getting cold by the time I got home. The Subway bags would have helped.

You mention having a reflective vest. That`s good for night riding, but is it Hi-Viz for greater contrast during daylight hours too?

Consider a plain white color for your new FF helmet for Hi-Visibility from all directions too. If you have a windshield on the bike even a Hi-Viz jacket or vest will not be noticable to drivers approaching from the front, where the top of your helmet will be.
http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn.us/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=5&mid=288

Add more tail/brake/running lights to the rear on the anticipated hardbags.
Maybe headlight and tail light modulators too?

Improve headlight with HID conversion and add a pair of driving lights.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15036&highlight=hid+conversion

Ron/lance328`s recommended HID conversion kit from post 8 in the above thread.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0410168965&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#14 ·
Hey Slim,
Looks like you'll be on hwy 36 in northern Kansas. East of Hiawatha, KS there's a good place to camp for free. It's called Brown State Fishing lake. Nice place. And a little down the road is Marysville, KS. You can camp in the city park for free too (but it's close to the RR tracks).

From this old Vietnam Vet,,,,,,,, be safe man and come home soon.

Joe

#16 ·
how much practice plugging tires do you recommend Gordon? 13 years enough? lol

I can't do a headlight modulator, or a HID Lighting on the Vulcan as I don't have a stock headlight... I am running a highly modified 6" off road light for a housing and don't want to get another light. besides that I am going with a Bat Wing fairing and am going to have to make a new mounting system for my HL

Ride on was in the plans, just forgot to mention it, so thanks for posting it... I wll put that on my checklist. Thanks for the link to the thread Gordon, I knew you would have the information I was looking for, not necessarily having exp with it.

CM4CM5, the idea for an extra clutch cable is a good idea, I am going to hold off on the speedo cable... won't need it... I am running an electrical speedometer.

Desert Dog, thanks for the camping tips, I will definitely mark them as stops on the rout.

and lastly on the shake down run... that is a no brainer for this guy... I don't even do a long drive in a cage with out doing a shake down run or two first...

I am wanting some axillary driving lights (about 20w) any suggestions on what would look good and yet be functional (and cheap)?

Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming.

#18 ·
how much practice plugging tires do you recommend Gordon? 13 years enough? lol
slim, do you use a mushroom plugger or a string/strip plug tool?

#22 ·
Hey Slim, I really want to go with you. Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you if I can until closer to the date you're leaving but it looks good now. I could even meet you on your intended path so you don't have to detour. Williamsport, PA is a straight shot across Jersey and PA for me. That would be a blast man!!!! I have a black leather duster too, we'd look like frick and frack! LOL!!! How long to you intend the trip to take (so I can plan the time off)?

#24 ·
Liberty, I am planning on this trip to take about a week, I am making a pit stop in Ohio to help out one of my buddies on his VN700. Then from there just taking my time seeing the sights... Like I said earlier this is all tentative planning for some time late spring early summer of 2012.

n2omike, I am interested in the bars, PM me with a pic, and a price, then I can haggle with my accountant

#31 ·
Liberty, I am planning on this trip to take about a week, I am making a pit stop in Ohio to help out one of my buddies on his VN700. Then from there just taking my time seeing the sights... Like I said earlier this is all tentative planning for some time late spring early summer of 2012.
Cool, let me know when you lock down a definite date. Good luck in the sand box, head on a swivel buddy. :smiley_th

#29 ·
Dumb question not intended to hijack the thread. If I installed these on a zero turn mower, how do I get power to them? Directly from the battery or tied in somewhere?

#36 ·
Slim, I don't know if anyone has mentioned extra fuel, but some folks carry a spare Seafoam can or two filled with gasoline just in case. Your route may not put you at risk of being in the middle of nowhere, however.

#39 ·
I hope so... another thing I am looking into is putting a pony Keg in my tail trunk as an axillary fuel tank... but that one might not happen in time for this trip... I have about one year to gather parts, and if I am lucky a month to put them on to give me enough time to break it all in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.