Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

replacing clutch plates with guide...having trouble

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  ddfreedom 
#1 · (Edited)
So I ordered new plates and springs and have been trying to install them on this bike, what seemed to be a relatively easy task for the non mechanic minded...but for some reason I'm still having trouble. (I have the haynes service manual

I currently have the plates installed alternating beginning and ending with friction plates...with the outer friction plate in the shallow groove.

I started torquing the screws down to 6.5 foot lbs (about 8.8 NM) and for some reason the central hub turns (where i screwd into) but the basket is not turning...with it in gear....

I thought the theory here is that with it in gear and connected to the non running engine it shoudl not turn...further if the clutch cable is loose...i shoudl have trouble disengaging..not engaging correct?

the central hub stops with the wheel down (so i believe its connected to the transmission...but the basket does not turn when im rolling it forward...

any ideas?

EDIT: The last friction plate closest to outside (in shallow groove) has so much play its obvious why they aren't very pressed together (a good 1cm play). why is this?

See less See more
#2 ·
fixed:

for those who care to know...apparently it helps to roll in your clutch all the way...I was torqueing it again the clutch rod thing that comes out....which was keeping me from bringing the cover all the way in.

where there is a will there's a way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.