Scootworks - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Vendors Got a favorite Vendor or not? Post your praise or criticism here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Scootworks

Maybe this is a fluke, but it's enough that Im pissed off.

On Tuesday the 22nd I placed an order for a Protac backrest for my VN750, a right-hand throttle rocker, and 2 left-hand rockers. (My buddy wanted the left and right, and I already had a right thus just needed the left.) Anyway, I placed the order and my first frustration is that they dont let you choose your shipping carrier or method. I would have paid for 2-day air through UPS if it'd been an option but no, instead you have to wait till they give you an email with the tracking number just to find out which van to be looking for. In my case, it was FedEx.

Alright, so the package gets here on Saturday the 26th. I open it and there are the throttle rockers. Nice. Then there's a little white box, which when opened reveals the rear drive sprocket for a VN900! I could understand if they sent the backrest for a 900, that'd be an honest mistake. But sending me a sprocket for a shaft-driven bike? That takes a whole new level of stupid to pull off... Anyway, my backrest is nowhere in the box. Okay, Im pissed. Im supposed to be leaving for Gulfport, MS on Wednesday, and now chances are Im not going to have my backrest in time.

So I start rifling through the papers they sent on what to do if the wrong part is shipped. First, I have to call them to let them know there's a problem. Did that, got the answering machine. Granted it was after hours, but that still didnt keep me from getting angry. Then the paper says to send them an email within 48 hours and wait for futher information and a Return Authorization Number. Im doing that as I type this post. Next, the instructions say to package up the merchandise, including all original packaging contents. Alright, no way in Hades am I sending my throttle rockers back. Those at least were correct: they cant expect me to return parts I actually ordered. Then, I have to write out a detailed explanation of why Im sending parts back. You know, maybe they'd realize the error if they'd just look at the invoice (which shows the Backrest) then look in the box and see the sprocket. Then I have to fill out the shipping label and ship it back to them postage paid! they dont accept COD. WTF!!!! Why in hell should I have to pay the shipping to send back to them the part that they never should have sent me? They should be eating the shipping costs both to take this thing back and to send me my backrest.

Basicly, Im very unhappy with Scootworks at the moment. Perhaps Im misreading some of what they sent me, but if Im not and this is truly how their customer service is, I'll be recommending everyone boycott their business.

Anyone else dealt with them?

For Sale: 2005 VN750, Ebony/Metallic Phantom Silver

V-Force Windshield, F&S Engine Guard w/ highway pegs
DieHard MF battery
Throttle Rocker II, both hands
Chrome trim on tank, fenders and windshield
Saddlemen Highwayman Jumbo Straight saddlebags
ProTac Driver's Backrest

Last edited by Sentinel; 04-28-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
That is strange, I got the goat belly removal kit and got it shipped fast with no problem.
That is my only experience with them and it was good.
I am sorry to hear about your problems and I hope it gets resolved fast.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Thay made a mistake on one of my orders but I called them the next day and they had the right part on the that day as I promised to send the wrong back right away.They are not selling many of the rear pullies for the 900 and they are pricey so maybe they are trying anything to get rid of them anyway they can.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

I do hope they choose to send my backrest quickly, though it will be Monday before Im able to talk to them. I also hope they overnight it but even then I doubt it'll be here in time. Looks like Im going to have to go with a Cheap Chuck jug for this trip.

I'll send their pulley back, certainly, but they better be paying the shipping for it. I've already paid to have the part I requested shipped: Im not paying any more just to fix their mistake.

DieHard MF battery
ProTac Driver's Backrest
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Update:

Called Scootworks this morning, and this is what apparently happened. First, they dont know how the pulley got put in my order: pure human error, they called it. I call it pure idiocy, but whatever. Second, they dont even have my backrest in stock: when I placed my order they had to make an order to ProTac to get one. I told the woman that I needed that thing Tomorrow, as I am leaving on a long trip Tomorrow. If I had known that they didnt have it in stock, I'd not have ordered it from them since I was pressed for time. She said there's nothing they can do since they wont have the backrest arrive at their place until Wednesday. She also didnt bother to tell me when it would arrive at my home. Not that it matters: by the time the package does arrive I'll be in Gulfport. So, Im SOL on the backrest. Ended up just buying one of those insulated soft-bag cooler things from the camping section in Wal-Mart this morning and tying it to the bike. With some towels stuffed in the front pocket for padding it'll work, but is certainly not what I wanted for a 1200-mile round trip.

Only real plus is that they're going to mail me the return shipping label for the pulley today, meaning I wont have to pay to send it back to them. But again, I'm leaving tomorrow (before the mail comes) so I wont get the label on their package until I get back next week.

Overall impression of Scootworks: Dont bother unless you live in North Carolina and can go to their retail store. The impresion I got when talking to them is that they care more for their retail service than their web service. Indeed, the first time I called them this morning (10:30 EST) no one even picked up the phone. Had to call back again 10 minutes later just to get an answer. Aggrivating. The people seem reasonable, but not incredibly enthusiastic about fixing their mistakes quickly. You should never, EVER tell a customer "there's nothing we can do." At least throw out some options, make the customer feel taken care of. I asked her if they'd overnight the backrest to me once it came in since my order was shipped incomplete: she tells me she wont know till it gets there. WTF? Surely she could say Yes or No right there on the phone, right? Granted it wouldnt do me any good to have it overnighted, but it was to test how they take care of fixing mistakes more than getting my part. Moving on, you cant be sure what you order will even be in stock because they dont list it on their website, even when you go to order. I know several online places, like Criuser Customizing and Dennis Kirk, tell you on the Checkout page whether or not an item is in stock, discontinued or on backorder. Scootworks doesnt. Finally, you cant choose what kind of shipping you want (which puts you at their mercy if you need something in a hurry). Granted, it's a flat rate on any order under $200 and free shipping if over $200, but I'd rather still have options on shipping.

Im not impressed with Scootworks, and will not be buying from them again.

DieHard MF battery
ProTac Driver's Backrest
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 AM
2FAS4U

This Sux. I HAD some respect for Scootworks.
Too late now, but I ordered mine from ProTac directly. I had to call, but the guy was more than helpful. They would probably ship ASAP, although I think they make them per order.
Hope the trip takes away the aggravation.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:06 PM

It's also a little cheaper going with Protac directly. They quoted me $125 + $10 shipping.

I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Im on vacation at the moment and it is helping, thanks.

I got a call from home that my backrest arrived. However, there's no telling if it's the right one or not. I'll just have to wait until I get back. Unfortunately, I didnt know you could order directly from ProTac until after I'd ordered from Scootworks, else I would have done that.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of things.

DieHard MF battery
ProTac Driver's Backrest
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Final Update.

Got back home last night and found the backrest was indeed for the VN750. Got it installed and honestly got a little more mad: the thing worked so well just sitting there that I Know it would have cut down on a lot of the back pain I had riding home yesterday. If I remember right it's about 600 miles from Gulfport, MS to my home here in Bolivar, MO. We left at 7 and rode all day, stopping only for fuel and food. For some of you that may not be much, but it's the longest ride I've been on: my back really could have used the support.

Anyway, Im still waiting for the return shipping label to come in the mail so I can send them their pulley back. I guess if it never comes I'll just assume they dont want the pulley back and sell it on Ebay or something.

DieHard MF battery
ProTac Driver's Backrest
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Theres an old saying, "You cant fix stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement