parts - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Vendors Got a favorite Vendor or not? Post your praise or criticism here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

parts

Hey all I was talking to a guy down in Texas yesterday that has a salvage yard . southparkcycle.com I believe it was 888-952-9253 his name is Rick Ledet..he was telling me that when he gets in final drives he sells them for $350, maybe some of you from Texas know of this place and could add a comment here. Just thought it would be good to know and keep in mind, ya can't always find them for $100 on EBAY lol and still beats that $1000 at the stealership. I do not know what else he has for our bikes I was mostly interested in weighing my options for my problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 AM

trash, do you know of as yet if its the inards of your motor that is the problem or a bad carb problem? when you mentioned that the bill for a partial rebuild would run past $1,500 and the bike is a 93, it becomes a tough choice as whether you can fix it or start over with another bike. hope its a simple fix for you. hate to see a leather cup holder go to waste. lol

good luck with it, J
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

lol why u wanna buy the cup holder? its a steel at $1100.00 plus tax lol, actually the price they quoted me was 996 for cam chains and all the internal guides and gaskets plus the 10-12 hours labor @70 an hour....I have them putting on the ACCT's then checking the timing...I plan on going in there once they say it did not jump timing, talk to them and say well I already have 35 for the towing, x amount for the ACCT's, and what an hour labor? once they say yes..I'm gonna say good bill me out at that hour labor you just told me and give me my dam bike because you are not mechanics you are parts changers. I WILL get this bike going if not I will part it out AFTER finding another VN750

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
u may have better luck looking for an whole engine on ebay, then parting out that engine for the accts (rebuild them with stronger springs) and use the cam chain. u could prolly find an engine with less them 25k on it for a good price if you keep your eyes open. which just outta curiosity. I wonder how much a whole new engine costs from kawasaki. i was looking at seeing if they could send me the blue prints so that i can go through and blue print the engine. i guess i could always do that with a lightly used motor, that is just barely past break in. oh and i have faith u can get your own bike up and running. just be patient

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

salvage yard motor [email protected] $1100. another was $1500
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

When I was looking at replacing mine, I was able to find a couple on ebay for around $300 or so but shipping was prohibitive. I called Kaw and they don't offer new engines and as far as I know, no one rebuilds them for resale either.
There is a salvage yard in Beaumont Texas that handles bikes. I'm not sure if it is the one mentioned earlier.
The engine tear down is not too difficult if all you are doing is replacing chains. Just be sure to mark things as to direction they were facing and the like so you can put them back the way they were.
The mail order shops (Ron Ayers) were where I got my parts from as I wanted new. I ended up replacing the ACCTs and the gaskets and a few additional parts I destroyed tearing the bike down. (Clutch hub.)
BTW, if you end up tearing the engine down yourself, find the proper flywheel/clutch tool or substitue. That's how I ruined my clutch hub. They are made of very soft aluminum. Kaw wants exorbatent amounts for theirs ($70) but I found one on Ron Ayers website for about 1/4 that. (http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/...d=105&type=615) You can make your own from a set of Vise Grip welding clamps by drilling out a couple of holes in the clamp arms and tapping the holes to receive a bolt that then acts as the hold mechanism. They work!! I can post a picture later if you want. The only other tool you may need is the proper size bolt to pull the rotor. I also found the Clymer's manual to better document the disassembly procedure than the Kaw manual.
Hope this is not too long and that you are back on the road soon.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jim yes the place in Beaumont is the place I mentioned earlier, I am debating on tearing it down myself (which would be a royal PIA because in an apartment) or tearing it down and parting it out. waiting for the tensioners to come in then take it from there...posting the pics would be good even if not for me then for anyone else that needs the reference. today makes 1 week with no ride AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Uber Member

I live in an apt too.... here is what i did. i drained the engine and let it drip till i got all i could get out. then i plugged the holes with those shop towels you can get from any auto parts store, u know the blue ones. then u can move it to where you want to (i recomend the balcony, but any place without carpet will work). Line the floor with cardboard, and keep a few shop towels around to clean up any remaining oil that leaks from the engine while u tear her down. I've found having the engine outta the bike it was alot easier and faster to work on. Just keep in mind when tourqing on it that the engine is loose, and could fall over, but that is easily avoided with the right precations.

also if you dont have any area without carpet, you can line the floor with a few sheets of plywood to give you a work area, then line that with a painters tarp, then put down your cardboard. as an extra precaution, i would also suggest having kitty litter to catch any oil spills immediatly before they run to the carpet if they are a sizeable spill.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

I do have a porch, I live in an older 4 family house and my apt is in the back. I have an area on there that I could make work. I thought about the dining room table (its got a 3/4" granite top) but the wife said "very funny" I know better I let her think I was joking lol. I am now leaning towards doing the job myself, just gotta get the bike back from the shop
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Uber Member

That a way!!! Dont give up. Then you can say ha! i did it when she runs just like she was brand new. while ur at it, if your planning any other mods, now would be the time to do it, I.E. toc cover, new plugs ect.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's