Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

tire advice

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  OlHossCanada 
#1 ·
I am considering replacing both tires on my 1500 Classic which has spoke wheels, therefore innertubes .

I want to run metzeler me 880's ,and my question is does any one on here run tube less tires with tubes and if so have there been any problems encountered ?

I know there are several people on here with spoked wheels,since a lot of you own more than one bike and some have 1500's as well.

Just looking for some people with prior knowledge or maybe a link to some of metzelers or other manufacurer's sites where I could get info from the manufacturer.

And before some one say to buy mag wheels ,that just ain't in the budget.I could probably get a nomad rear wheel on ebay but that only solves half the problem as the Nomad runs dual discs up front and the forks are different widths as well.

#2 ·
Hi Denny

I run ME880s with tubes on my 1500. I love 'em. I don't much care for the spoked wheels. They are the biggest downside to the Classic.

#3 ·
Thanks, I was hoping some one had experience with this.I went ME880 on my 750 and loved them.and I'll agree while the spokes look good they definitely have their disadvantages.

#4 ·
Denny, here is a link to Gadget`s fixit pages for sealing spoked wheels to use tubeless tires:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/tww.htm

I saw a commercial product advertised online just this week too, to do the same thing. Sorry but I don`t recall the site or the brand name. I don`t know if you are interested in this or not, just offering another option. Good luck in finding the best solution for what you want. :smiley_th

#5 ·
I have been thinking a bout this all day after reading this and gadget 's fixit write up ,I would love to go tubeless,If you find out or remember the name of that other product let me know, Thanks

#6 ·
Or you could go to the darkside for the rear tire. Check on VROC site for the right size.

#7 ·
I have been looking at that and it is not recommended at al for wire spoke wheels!

I'm just going to buy new tires and new tubes,the front for now the PO just put a new Dunflop on the rear,I'll wear it out about halfway through the summer anyway.

#8 ·
Wasn't sure about spoked tires and the darkside. However, it was a suggestion. Even if it was a bad suggestion.

#9 ·
I had thought about this already ,therefore if your idea was a bad one you are not alone.

#15 ·
It is controversial except to those who have gone to the darkside and installed a car tire on the rear wheel of a cruiser or some sport touring motorcycles. 95% of those who have gone to the darkside say they will never come back to a motorcycle tire on the rear of their cruiser type bike. It is not for use on sport bikes/crotch rocket type machines.

Here are a few links to check out:
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=DarkSiding&nav=start&prettyurl=/DarkSiding/start

and our very own crznurs on her vn700. She sold it and bought a Yamaha V-Star 1600 which was already darksided.

As far as the car tire on my VN. I have probably 15000 on it by now. I haven't counted it up lately. I WOULD NOT GO BACK TO CAR TIRE! ever. (typo in previous sentence. Read the rest of the post and you will see she meant *not go back to MOTORCYCLE tire!* Editing and all highlighting done by Gordon) If I had a motorcycle tire on there I would have had to change it and would be half way into the 2nd tire by now. That is a lot of money as I was using Metzlers. There is 3/4 tread left on the car tire and it handles great. I do a lot of riding on the twisties here in Missouri and in Arkansas. The car tire works great. I already have a car tire on the star and it handles like a dream. Like I said above: I wont go back to a motorcycle tire. Just doesn't make sense. I will probably get flamed for the blasphemy but hey who cares?

ACCTs rebuilt
New fork seals
Metzlers 880's
New tank (to me)
Harley heritage seat
Flyscreen
Darksider: Vredestien 165H R15 DS#144
In the works: ear shave, and new exhaust (haven't decided what kind yet), paint job, & lowering her.

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.