Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Battery Strap Question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rubyrick 
#1 · (Edited)
I just replaced my dead Yuasa MF battery with a Diehard Gold MF battery. The battery seems to be working perfectly.

Here's my problem: the battery strap doesn't fit completely over the new battery. There's a ridge on the top of the new battery that makes it impossible for me to hook the forward latch and screw it in to the battery box.

For the moment, I've simply screwed the strap in to the battery box. The strap hangs over the battery and seems to hold it fairly snug. (Close, but no cigar.) But, obviously, it's not nearly as snug as it would be if it was both hooked and screwed in.

Can I leave it like this? Or do I need to work out a more secure solution?

Does anyone else have a similar issue with the Diehard?

#2 ·
I ran mine for several hundred miles before I noticed it didn't have the battery strap. It basically just keeps it from moving around so it doesn't wear a hole in the battery. You could try a short rubber bungy strap to hold it or maybe even the rubber strap that is in the tool box would work.

#3 ·
I had the same problem switching from a Yuasa wet cell to Yuasa AGM. The battery slid from side to side until the negative cable came loose and the bike stalled. I ended up bowing the battery tie down a bit and adding a shim, made from rolled cardboard.

#4 ·
I just read, in an old post, that someone else had the same problem with the Diehard. He said that the battery came with a spacer attached to the bottom with two-sided tape ~ when he pried it off, it fit. I didn't even notice a spacer on the bottom of the battery. I hate to pull it to check, but it will be worth it to have it fit properly.

#6 ·
Clicking through previous posts, I read that there was a spacer on the Diehard battery that could be removed (never noticed it when I installed it). I saw it was so, and removed it. In moments, problem solved!
I was JUST going to post that info to you when I read it on the last post. Glad you found it. BTW, I've had the same Sears battery in my baby for 25 months now it it's going super strong. I know this could change literally overnight, especially getting beyond the 2-year mark. But it's been extremely good to me so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.