Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Tach jumping with power loss

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  shark88.dp 
#1 ·
I'm on my way home today and the bike intermittently stutters around 3000~4000 RPM. I figure it's probably the stupid carb vent hose again, but then I notice that the tach jumps up about 500 RPM and back down when the bike stutters. Any thoughts on this one?
BTW- my kickstand switch has never worked, don't know why that would cause a problem cruising but just thought I should throw it out there. Also my ignition switch sometimes needs a little jiggle with the key when you turn it to the on position....the lights come on, but the neutral indicator doesn't light and the bike wont turn over till you wiggle the key a little.

#4 ·
I now believe the issue with the tach is unrelated to the stutter. Sometimes the tach jumps with out any loss of power......
I ran the bike at highway speed while playing with the carb vent hose and still believe my problem may be there. That tube is damn picky.

#10 ·
Had that problem

I had the same problem but found the problem was the ground wire off of the battery. Might want to check that out. Mine did the same thing till it died. I found that the negative came off. Once I got it back on and tightened up I was good to go. No problems since. Try that or check the rest of the ground wires.
:rockon:

#11 ·
I know a vtx1300 rider that had similar problems and even worse....turned out to be the negative cable...loose. Clean the ignition switch . see what happens

#13 ·
This happened to me after switching to an AGM battery, which was slightly shorter than the original OEM battery. The battery hold down bracket did not make good contact with the new battery, allowing it to shift 1/2", or more, left and right in the battery box as I turned. Eventually, the negative terminal worked its way loose. Same scenario as yours; wacky tach and loss of power. I shimmed the battery hold down bracket and added lock washers to both battery terminals. No problem since.

#14 ·
I know this is an old post, but Holy jeeze,I have had this exact problem recently. 3-4k rpms only while cruising I get the stutter, and the tach jumps. If I'm nailing on it, it doesn't happen. Holy crap I am going to check my battery cables. Hopefully it fixes it. I just don't understand how it makes a good enough connection to crank and start, but not enough to cruise at 3500 rpms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.