Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

CDI specs

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lance328 
#1 ·
Hi, i just picked up a 92 and cant get it to start; even with starting fluid, compression is good. It has spark but when i check ohms on the CDI several specs are way off. Also on the flywheel, wich timing mark should line up with the pointer (going off front cyl) the first line, the sideways "T" or the "F"? right now its a few degrees before the first line.

thanks

#3 ·
What kind and how old is the battery, with a weak battery it will turn over but won't start.

#4 ·
Hi, i just picked up a 92 and cant get it to start; even with starting fluid, compression is good. It has spark but when i check ohms on the CDI several specs are way off. Also on the flywheel, wich timing mark should line up with the pointer (going off front cyl) the first line, the sideways "T" or the "F"? right now its a few degrees before the first line.

thanks
If it has not been tampered with the timing should be ok. Second thing the bikes are not CDI They are TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition) It basically works like inductive pickup except instead of being controlled directly by the pickups. The pickups control transistors that feed ground to the coils.

#5 ·
Ron is right just because you have spark doesen't mean it is strong enough to ignite the air fuel mixture. Check voltage at the coils while cranking.

#6 · (Edited)
Actualy it is CDI "Capacitive Discharge Ignition" it uses a capacitor to emit a quick burst of High Voltage current, the ignition coil is charged by the capacitor. Yes!! The CDI module is transitor controlled.

#7 ·
Actualy it is CDI "Capacitive Discharge Ignition" it uses a capacitor to emit a quick burst of High Voltage current, the ignition coil is the capacitor. Yes!! The CDI module is transitor controlled.
Are you serious? As vulcanjoe said, it is not CDI. A CDI uses low resistance coils (less than 1ohm) and the other end of the primary winding is connected to ground.

#8 ·
Are you serious? As vulcanjoe said, it is not CDI. A CDI uses low resistance coils (less than 1ohm) and the other end of the primary winding is connected to ground.
Not in the least, messin with Joe. :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.