Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

More electrical problems

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 ·
Riding along, left turn at intersection, go about 300 yards and the bike dies. No instument lights, won't crank. Pull over, turn key back and forth, still no lights. Remove left side cover, pull and check all fuses, put cover back on, turn key, and I have power! Ride about six miles, make right turn and bike dies again. No instrument lights. Leave key on, push it into the shade, two guys in a truck stop to see if I need help, tell them no, look down and instrument lights are back on! Head home, make an intermediate stop after about 12 miles, turn right into business, bike still running and turn off with key. Twenty minutes later, try to start, and no instrument lights. Pull fuse panel and push on fuses. Nothing. Replace fuse panel cover, stand up and the instrument lights are back on. Make another stop, turn bike off, return in 10 minutes and bike fires up no problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to check first? I have a project bike I can pull replacement parts off of and have a dial type multi meter. But my electrical expertise is limited. BTW, have an almost brand new Deka MF AGM battery in it.

#3 ·
This did happen to me after switching to an AGM battery. The new AGM battery was shorter than the old wet cell which made for poor contact with the battery the hold down bracket. Turns out the new battery was sliding back and forth in the battery case. It was enough movement to eventually work the negative cable loose. I added lock washers to the battery connections and shimmed the battery hold down bracket to solve it. Another potential candidate is the contacts in the key assemble. Other owners have reported bad/dirty contacts resulting in a similar symptoms as yours.

#4 ·
I failed to mention that after the last time it wouldn't start I pulled the seat and checked the battery conections. Both were tight, but the battery hold down wasn't snug enough to keep the battery from moving slightly, so I will fix that.

#5 · (Edited)
Found one wire connection in the headlight bucket that wasn't completely seated from my recent wiring harness contact cleaning and greasing. Also, for some reason I didn't clean the multi connector in there. But it's done now and we're going for a test ride. Will let you know if there are problems.

P.S.: Fifty miles and no problems. Hope that was it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.