Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Dynabeads. Feedback?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  vulcanjoe 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever used Dynabeads? I had never heard of them, but was on jakewilson.com ordering tires and happened to see a link.

Here's a youtube vid of how they work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

I had considered trying my hand at mounting my own new tires b/c it didn't look too hard (well, not to complicated - it does look like kind of a PITA). They only thing holding me back was that I didn't really want to deal with balancing them and was going to take them in for that anyway.

Dynabeads look like a cool solution to that problem. In the research I've done I haven't really found any negative feedback on them. AND, they're super cheap.

I saw a very few posts that mention them, anybody have opinions on this?

#3 ·
......Dynabeads look like a cool solution to that problem. In the research I've done I haven't really found any negative feedback on them. AND, they're super cheap.
I too did a LOT of research on Dynabeads and came to the same positive conclusions as you. However, I don't have the tools or space to do my own tire change and the dealer would not install the Dynabeads. So, I have standard ugly wheel weights installed by the dealer. Yes, I could install the beads myself and remove the weights, but I already paid for the weights and the tires seem balanced.

However, I would definitely use Dynabeads if installing the tire myself.

#4 ·
i would spend a lil $30 to have them balance PROPERLY and be comfortable riding at high or low speed. My safety is priceless.
Assuming that weather and temp are changing, you will most likely get some sort of condensation (or moisture) in the tire and...i will let you guess the rest.

just my 2 cents ;)

#5 ·
I use the dyna beads but i fill my tires with nitrogen (advantage less pressure fluctuation from temp and completely dry). I have ridden speeds in excess of 100mph without a problem. I like them but you cannot use any type of tire sealant. if you use a temporary push plug for a repair you will have to keep it slow as the beads will stick to the repair. after the tire is patch plugged from the inside you will have to make sure the overbuff sealant is completely dry before you reinstall the tire and you will need to use new dynabeads. If you dont mind the look of the sticky weights they are much more fool proof.

#6 ·
You will be adding moist air every time you add air to your tires. I mounted my own tires and had them balanced locally for $10 each. Then I added Ride On. Tires are well balanced, and when I pulled a screw out of the rear tire there was no leak! The Ride On isn't cheap, but it's nice to have the insurance against flats.

#7 ·
flitecontrol is right any compressed air not ran through a quality drier has just as much moisture as the atmosphere. without the access to nitrogen or a compressor with a drier i would not use them.

#9 ·
like i said I like them but in reality they are more work than weights if i get a low tire I have to trailer the bike to work to air it back up

#10 ·
I'd spend my money on Ride On instead. Does the same thing the dyna beads do but also protects your from flat tires. REAL nice to have when your in the middle of nowhere and pick up a nail.

I also advise having the tires balanced properly with stick on weights anyway ...no matter if you use Ride On or Dyna-beads.

KM

#12 · (Edited)
Actually you are partially correct KM here is a paragraph from ride-on website

Balancing and Ride and Stability Issues

The product manufactured by our leading competitor was originally designed for use in bicycle tires, and according to their website is “not intended for speeds in excess of 75 mph”. Ride-On is designed to actually help hydrodynamically balance tires at highway speeds. Once installed in a tire, it will actually act to dampen vibrations for the life of a tire so you do not need periodic rebalancing. Although we don’t condone speeding, our dealers and customers comment that their bikes actually run smoother at speeds as high as 150 mph. Ride-On should be installed in tires and wheels that have been professionally mounted and balanced. Once installed, you should not try to rebalance a tire containing Ride-On – just let it do what it is was formulated to do!

It does not do the same thing exactly. Dyna beads were designed specifically to balance tires, Ride on is a sealant that helps keep tires balanced and eliminates the need for periodic rebalancing. A lot of people out there do not realize that as the rubber wears away the heavy spots in the tire can change. My truck gets rebalanced every 3000 miles with the oil change and rotate. the tires have been upwards of .5 oz in that short of time.

#13 ·
I have used Ride on in all my tires and so far I have never had to worry about a leak, but I did have it balanced prior and I agree the insurance is great.

#14 ·
I agree with using Ride-On instead of Dyna Beads for the sealing protection it provides along with the balancing. I have not actually used it yet, but it will be installed in new tires when they go on.

#15 ·
my main reason for using the beads is all the motorcycle shops near me will not balance a tire they didn't mount. They also will not mount a tire that you did not purchase from them. The same dunlop d404s that I purchased online for $150 would have cost $200 plus $40 each wheel to mount and balance if I carry the wheels in. If I take the bike in it is $40 for the front wheel and $60 for the rear with a $10 upcharge for being shaft drive. so $150 vs $280 was my deciding factor.

#16 ·
Wow $40, I just took my new Metzler front tire in to my local dealer and they mounted, balanced, new valve stem and disposal for $19 & change, and they did it while I waited.
I also put a piece of masking tape on both sides of the rim with an arrow showing the rotation of the wheel so they knew which way it mounted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.