Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Fuel leaking from exhaust...dies with throttle blip!!!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  baldy 
#1 ·
I have had a bit of luck keeping this bike running, but today she decided to play rough. I went to start her today and she had been idling rough all morning. I then decided to turn her off for a minute and when i restarted her, i forgot to place the fuel feed to "ON". She died and when i put her back to "ON" she wouldn't start. I then tried several times to start her but it sounded like she was ceasing when i played with the choke. I also added about an ounce of seafoam in the gas tank thinking that it was a stuck float or something. I decided to leave her for an hour or so and then tried again. This time, it wouldn't even turn over so I changed the battery and she started right up, but then I started to smell alot of gas. I shut her off and tried to look for the source...nothing. I then started her again and thought that it was the idle adjustment...I turned the screw and she sounded like she was gonna die so i turned it the other way and she did good, but then sounded like she was gonna die. I then noticed that there was a "liquidey" sound coming from the right exhaust (i guess the front cylinder)...and to my surprise, there was a pool of GAS under the exhaust tip and gas was still spewing out while the bike was running. I immediately turned her off and now i am scared to start her thinking that she might explode if i run her. WHAT SHOULD I DO? P.S. - If I tried to close the choke (even just 1/8 of the way) she would begin to die; even if i just blipped the throttle, she would begin to die. NEED HELP!

See less See more
#4 ·
I will try both methods, how long should I wait for the gas to evaporate from the exhaust before starting the bike again? Also, how much of the carb should i take apart? Do I have to remove the whole carb, or can I just remove the gas tank, then open the carb and work from there?

#5 ·
Never heard of anyone having enough room to work on the carbs until they are removed from the engine.

Does your petcock have On/Prime/Reserve or On/Off/Reserve? Didn't have it in the Prime position I suppose.

#6 ·
the petcock has On/Off/Reserve...I was thinking...should I drain the "problem carb" through the carb drain plug, then try to hit it with the screwdriver handle? My main concern is that fuel in the exhaust pipe...I don't wanna kill myself in a ball of fire before even riding the daggone thing...LOL

#7 ·
leave it on on. You may want to put a little oil into the problem cylinder to lubricate the cylinder. Use the spark plug hole for this. Draining carb is a good idea. You should not get any fuel until you crank the engine. I think you will be okay on the exhaust. go for it

#9 ·
Ok...well, I drained the carb, sprayed some card cleaner in there and then had to jump her to get her to turn over...once i did that (forgot to mention that I accidentally adjusted the idle screw) she began to run real high RPM's. I then adjusted the idle screw until she was at about 1100RPM's... I let her run for a bit and noticed that there was no gas coming from the problem cylinder, but there small amount of bluish/white (couldn't see it too well) smoke coming from that pipe. I didn't see it as too much of a problem but figured that I would give it a quick "blip" from the throttle and then she died. *Note* - while jumpstarting, I had to really mess around with the choke to get her to start, then I closed it all the way and that is when she started to run the high RPM's...right before I adjusted the idle screw. Any thoughts?

#10 · (Edited)
If you had to jump it to turn it over your battery is weak. The smoke....I've allways gone by the white/blue/black motto. White smoke..burning antifreeze...Blue smoke...burning oil...Black smoke..Running rich. Check your oil and if it has a gas smell change it SOON. If gas gets in the oil it will thin your oil and that could be some of the smoke you saw. Left too long it can ruin your engine. If the choke is closed the bike will rev up to around 4000rpm or higher when it is warmed up. Not to scare you but I got thinking that if the cylinder has been a problem with excess fuel and there is a lot of gas in the oil the reason for it to turn over hard could be it is on the verge of seizing the engine. It may not be but getting info on here and not seeing it in person you want to cover all the bases.

#11 ·
sounds like time to remove the carbs and do a thorough cleaning and put a slow deep charge on the battery while you are cleaning the carbs at a slow low rate of charge JMO

#14 ·
When the bike is warmed up it should idle at 1000 to 1100 rpms. Have you turned the air/fuel screws out any? Mine would almost stall out when I burped the throttle and now it doesn't now that I turned them out 2.5 turns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.