Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Riding Position

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  L2fish 
#1 ·
For the larger forum members, what is your riding position. Do you hug the tank with your knees, or sprawl out?

For some reason, sometimes when I am riding, usually all sprawled out on the bike it feels like it wants to lean to the right and flop over no matter how fast I am going. I think I just need to modify my position on the bike and not try to wiggle around when I am riding. If I move around the least little bit, the bike will try to turn sideways, but I think that's just because I am so big and its not the bikes fault.

#2 ·
If I move around the least little bit, the bike will try to turn sideways, but I think that's just because I am so big and its not the bikes fault.
I'm not your size, but it sounds to me like you may be accidentally initiating a countersteer while you're moving around. But like I said, hard to know unless I'm in your shoes.

#3 ·
I'm heavy duty too and I make mine squirm when I move around too,normal behavior for old springs and shocks being asked to do more than they were designed for when new:BLAM:

#4 · (Edited)
For the larger forum members, what is your riding position. Do you hug the tank with your knees, or sprawl out?

For some reason, sometimes when I am riding, usually all sprawled out on the bike it feels like it wants to lean to the right and flop over no matter how fast I am going. I think I just need to modify my position on the bike and not try to wiggle around when I am riding. If I move around the least little bit, the bike will try to turn sideways, but I think that's just because I am so big and its not the bikes fault.
Check your tire and shock pressure.

Reminds me of what Dolly Parton said years ago when her dress split open at the Grammy's. "My daddy always said you can't 10lb of potatoes in a 5lb sack". ROTFLMAO

#5 ·
Yup..she had some big potatoes. Put the shock pump on your shocks and see what pressure they have and if they are equal. I kind of pinch the tank with my knees but only because the dam tank bag gets blown of at 70mph on a windy day. It cant be trusted. Othewise i would just relax and be ergonomic as best as possible.

#8 · (Edited)
KwisatzHaderach, don't get one of those that go to 300-400 psi, they tend to not work good (accurate) at the lower pressures of motorcycle shocks and forks...
More for bicycle forks I think...
Maybe a 60 psi guage, thats what I have and wish I had got a 30 psi one instead...
[Edit] But on my Sportster I only run 5 psi in my forks and 10 psi in my shocks...[End Edit]
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#11 · (Edited)
I can tell you what they are as that is what I wound up getting and it is the best one I have and they are supposed to be made by the same company $46.95 for the HD one...
I think I gave $29.95 for one from Amazon that looks the same except for the color and will not read well below 10-15 psi and would also loose air on removal...
If I could find it I would give it to you for shipping...lol...
Others have had better luck with them I think, I guess I just got a lemon...
Here is the HD one I have...
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302290991&bmUID=1274835051204&bmLocale=en_US

#10 ·
I hug the tank when it's a bit cool or even down right cold and when navigating tight turns(i.e. when riding the winding roads in the mountains and so forth). Otherwise, particularly on hot days, I sprawl out and get comfortable.

#12 ·
I simply bought a bicycle pump at Wal-Mart and pumped my rear shocks a little over what I was shooting for to compensate for air loss on disconnect.

#14 ·
Is 5 and 10lbs of pressure the recommended for the forks and shocks? Whats the most before they blow? I'm about 195.
No not for the vn750 That is just what I run in my Sportster, I usually ran 20-30 psi in the shocks on the vn750 and I weigh about 225#...
When the wife @ 145# rode with me I usually cranked the spring up a notch from pos. 3 to 4...
If I remember correctly on the vn750 you can run up to near 70 psi in the shocks and not blow the seals, but someone with an owners manual should correct me if I am wrong...
I run 5 psi in the self installed schrader valves in the forks on my Sportster which is supposed to be ok up to about 10 psi, above that may blow its seals...
I have Road King take off shocks on the rear of the Sportster and run 0-10 psi in them...

#17 ·
I have changed my position to riding with my knees out flapping in the breeze....two benefits.
1. Air Cooling of my groin area at highway speed.
2. Not as fatiguing since i dont have to flex muscles to put knees on tank.
When i am engaging in technical moves etc..i bring my knees to the tank. then going straight i let them flap. Plus its stretching and improving circulation.

#22 ·
I basically do the same, legs out when in the streights and tank squeeze when in the twists...

#18 ·
I always let my knees hang in the breeze, the groin cooling is nice.

#19 ·
I hang loose. Too hot to pull in tight. On long stretches, I extend out to my highway pegs. I also found when I do this it funnels more airflow to the motor and actually runs a little cooler. Especially since I installed the radiator grill guard.

#23 ·
Only thing is..do you have the warm air go up your leg and heat you up? When i use the pegs...its 100degree plus ..air moving up my pant leg....vs...blocking the warm air while sitting..

#21 ·
I'm not your size, but it sounds to me like you may be accidentally initiating a countersteer while you're moving around. But like I said, hard to know unless I'm in your shoes.
I'm heavy duty too and I make mine squirm when I move around too,normal behavior for old springs and shocks being asked to do more than they were designed for when new:BLAM:
Like denny, I`m heavy duty too. When just starting to ride, I was surprised how much the bike moved around when squirming around to find a comfortable position for my backside.

When I let my knees flop around, the bike tends to move around too. When I remember to squeeze the tank with my knees the bike is more stable, but I`m not as comfortable.

#24 ·
I don't remember my shock pump being all that expensive. I am wanting to think somewhere around $50. I'm a little heavy in the saddle too. What amazed me was the simple fact that my shocks had 0 psi!!!!! The dealership told me that under no circumstances should I mess with it they where set from the factor. Of course that didn't suit me lol so I had to some diggin. My owners manual said they were set for a 180lb rider and I'm considerably over that. Done a little math an adjusted air for my weight and OMG the bike day/night different. Much much much better.

#25 ·
More BS from idiots that don't know up from down at a dealership. If they weren't supposed to be adjusted, why would they make them so they could? Ceartainly cheaper to make a non-adjustable shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.