First real ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

First real ride

It was 60 degrees today and i was finally able to go on my first real "Ride". I have rode my bike a couple times since purchasing it but today i actually got to ride it for more then 10-15 miles. Both me and my dad bought bikes at the same time so we cruised today about 70 miles. I didnt realize how bad cars tailgate bikes until today. In the amount of time we were riding, both of us had 2 cars each ride our asses so close i could have cleaned their windshield. One lady was extremely close to me, i swirled side to side hoping for her to back off but she only got closer, so i tapped my brake repeatably and still would not back off. Finally she passed me and my dad. I have a new respect for bikers now and the crap they put up with while driving. I think im going to do what i saw on the dealing with tailgaters forum and start carrying a pocket full of rocks or bb's to toss out when someone tailgates me to closely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVaLaLude00 View Post
It was 60 degrees today and i was finally able to go on my first real "Ride". I have rode my bike a couple times since purchasing it but today i actually got to ride it for more then 10-15 miles. Both me and my dad bought bikes at the same time so we cruised today about 70 miles. I didnt realize how bad cars tailgate bikes until today. In the amount of time we were riding, both of us had 2 cars each ride our asses so close i could have cleaned their windshield. One lady was extremely close to me, i swirled side to side hoping for her to back off but she only got closer, so i tapped my brake repeatably and still would not back off. Finally she passed me and my dad. I have a new respect for bikers now and the crap they put up with while driving. I think im going to do what i saw on the dealing with tailgaters forum and start carrying a pocket full of rocks or bb's to toss out when someone tailgates me to closely.
Glad to hear you got in a good ride, and YES tailgaters suck!! Just remember if you throw rocks or bb's at a cager they weigh around 3500 pounds more than you!. And if you get pulled over by the fuzz and they find that in your pockets you will probably go to JAIL. The best course of action is no stupid reaction.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Glad to hear you got in a good ride, and YES tailgaters suck!! Just remember if you throw rocks or bb's at a cager they weigh around 3500 pounds more than you!. And if you get pulled over by the fuzz and they find that in your pockets you will probably go to JAIL. The best course of action is no stupid reaction.
Wow didnt know that was illegal, thanks for the heads up i will not be using that method.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 AM

just pull over and let em by... that's the safest route...

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVaLaLude00 View Post
I think im going to do what i saw on the dealing with tailgaters forum and start carrying a pocket full of rocks or bb's to toss out when someone tailgates me to closely.
just a friendly pointer...... pissing off a nice big heavy car is not what you want to do while on a motorcycle...... other than that congrats on the ride...... hope there is many more to come that are safe and fun...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There's a thread about tailgaters on this forum under safety; has some good info. Slowing down and letting them pass when there are no oncoming cars is a good option, as is pulling over, mentioned above. Ride safe and don't let them break your concentration; bad things can happen quickly.

Edit: Oops! Didn't realize you'd read the thread. Try reading the whole thing.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 02-02-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: content
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

Ah, yes... the first real ride. I took mine on Saturday. After installing the mods I warmed her up and headed out. First to a friend's house to show off the new add ons, and afterward I just pointed her forward and began to shift gears. I took roads I'd never been on, got lost twice, ended up further from home than I planned, and almost three hours later with the sun going down I was back in my garage with 110 more miles on the odometer. There were lots of other bikes out there waving at me, I had a few tailgaters, a couple poorly executed right turns and more than one incline start ending in a stall before I got going, but I had a great afternoon. I know the more I ride, the better I'll get.

I have a good idea how your day was and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did mine.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
Ah, yes... the first real ride. I took mine on Saturday. After installing the mods I warmed her up and headed out. First to a friend's house to show off the new add ons, and afterward I just pointed her forward and began to shift gears. I took roads I'd never been on, got lost twice, ended up further from home than I planned, and almost three hours later with the sun going down I was back in my garage with 110 more miles on the odometer. There were lots of other bikes out there waving at me, I had a few tailgaters, a couple poorly executed right turns and more than one incline start ending in a stall before I got going, but I had a great afternoon. I know the more I ride, the better I'll get.

I have a good idea how your day was and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did mine.
Haha nice, i cant wait til spring, Winter is overrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement