Pocono Raceway Ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pocono Raceway Ride

This past Sunday I went on a ride hosted by Pocono Mountain Harley-Davidson. Had about 200 bikes on a run from the dealership near Stroudsburg, PA to Pocono Raceway. Stopped by the tunnel entrance, handed out wristbands and passed around waivers to sign. Headed on through the tunnel entrance under Turn 2 and up to the garage area. Had to hang out for about 15 minutes waiting for the car club track day to break for lunch, then out onto the NASCAR oval. Had us all bunch up behind 2 pace trucks, and away we went! Pace trucks were running about 80mph, but with so many bikes we were strung out over about a mile of track. I was near the back and we had plenty of room to maneuver. I was riding 2-up at about 85mph, didn't feel comfortable going faster with a passenger, but some guys were definitely over 100mph on the straights. 4 laps of fun and back to the garage area for a short break, then a 50-mile loop through Hickory Run State Park back to the dealership. Surf & turf lunch and live music to round out the day.

It was a blast! I mention it because they're gonna do it again on August 6th. Check out Pocono Mountain's website or facebook page for details (a couple of videos on the facebook page). I would highly recommend it if you're anywhere close enough to do it.

Here's a screen shot from a GoPro video shot by a friend. That's me & the woman on the Vulcan just ahead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn 3 a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	39297  

1995 VN750 bought used @ 6K miles
2007 VN1600D bought used @ 40K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:41 AM

Sounds like a nice ride! What Turn 4?

Closest I can come is taking a Peterbilt around Kentucky Motor Speedway, trailer and all. (equipment auction)

Pocono isn't an oval though, but I forget what they like to call it. Roval? Oh nope, that's the road course in the middle of Charlotte later this year.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
These days they just call it the Tricky Triangle. It's a pretty cool place to ride around.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Garage
That sounds so cool, I would love to do that. Let me know if you plan on going. I already emailed the wife.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieDave View Post
These days they just call it the Tricky Triangle. It's a pretty cool place to ride around.
That's it! Thanks. Had to be a great ride.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
That sounds so cool, I would love to do that. Let me know if you plan on going. I already emailed the wife.
I won't know if I'm going until next weekend. I wasn't planning to do it again, but a friend who missed the first one wants me to go with him. But he's having back issues and meeting with a surgeon to discuss options later this week, so until then he won't know if he can go.

I'll update once I know for sure.

Last edited by GoalieDave; 07-22-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add quote
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
OK, sorry for the late notice. As long as the weather holds, we're in for Sunday's Pocono Ride. They are doing pre-registration by phone for $30, or pay-at-the-door for $45. (I believe this is to try and get an estimated head count for the caterer). If you want to get the cheaper deal, just call Pocono Mountain Harley at 570.992.7500

I'm going to wait until tomorrow for a bit more accuracy on the weather forecast before pre-registering...

If anyone is going, post here and we can meet up.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Garage
We ended up taking the camper out this weekend and I won't make this one. Hopefully they do it again.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
We ended up taking the camper out this weekend and I won't make this one. Hopefully they do it again.
Bummer, would've been nice to finally meet someone from the forum. But I understand the joy of camping. We try to get out once or twice a year. Just a tent for now, but hopefully a small pop-up for next year...

If anyone else is in the area and going to this ride, let me know.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Top Speed...

In case anyone is interested, since I didn't have a passenger this time I took advantage of Pocono's roughly 3/4-mile front straight to see what the Vulcan could do.

After a slow first lap to get to the back of the pack and have plenty of room, lap two saw the needle just touch 100mph. Took turn 3 a little faster on lap 3 and got to 105mph, but that seemed to be all she had. Lap 4 I went into a flat track tuck (chest on the tank, left hand also pulled in against the tank) and coaxed her up to 110mph.

I think that's about all there was. If I had an airport runway, maybe she could get to 115, but I doubt it.

All in all, a fun time, if they do it again next year I'll go again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement