Ride to Pikes Peak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Overkill? Whats that?

Ride to Pikes Peak

Thinking of putting together a quick run to Pikes Peak and back from Birmingham, Al.

Looks like it's about 1300 miles there and 1300 back. According to google maps it'll take 20 hours. I figure I could do a best of about 12 hrs a day on the bike. so pretty much 2 10 - 11 hr days trying to cover 700 miles a day. Spend a day actually riding up the mountain looking around then heading back home. So that leaves me with 5 days. Figured I'd camp to keep costs down.

Have I gone nuts for trying to do something like this on this time frame? working on doing longer rides now. But so far the farthest has been nashville and back in a day 4 hrs each way.

Anyone ridden up to the top of the mountain?

2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max Black, and faster than I care to go.
1995 Vulcan 750 Bobberish project. - SOLD

"There are two opinions in this world MINE, and the wrong one. . . " - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Ndr

Not really crazy at all. Doing 700 miles a day is more then I would like to do, though I have and could do it. It all comes down to your own personal comfort level.

I'm doing a nearly 3,000 mile ride at the end of June, but we are spreading it over a 11 days. We have quite a few places we want to stop and decided to do low mileage days in between.

Now, If I were to do a trip to Pikes Peak, I would likely do the same as you, get there as fast as I could manage, but send a couple of days there. (at least 2, maybe 3 max)

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Overkill? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
Not really crazy at all. Doing 700 miles a day is more then I would like to do, though I have and could do it. It all comes down to your own personal comfort level.

I'm doing a nearly 3,000 mile ride at the end of June, but we are spreading it over a 11 days. We have quite a few places we want to stop and decided to do low mileage days in between.

Now, If I were to do a trip to Pikes Peak, I would likely do the same as you, get there as fast as I could manage, but send a couple of days there. (at least 2, maybe 3 max)
In a perfect world I'd do that. However this is something I think I want to accomplish on the bike and that means no wife, so thus the compressed timeline, It's hard enough to get off work but heaven help me if i have off days and don't get something done around the house lol.

Just wondering if I'm fooling myself that a ride like that can be done on a vulcan with no windshield and just some small saddle bags. . .

2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max Black, and faster than I care to go.
1995 Vulcan 750 Bobberish project. - SOLD

"There are two opinions in this world MINE, and the wrong one. . . " - Jeremy Clarkson

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:04 PM
2014 KLR 650!

I did 500 miles Sunday back from DC and I think if I didn't have the stock seat on my sportster I could have done 700 or more pretty easily. On a vulcan, if I trusted it to do that kind of mileage (would never have attempted on my old one), it would be easy because it's far more comfortable than a ridgid sporty. I dare say on a very comfortable bike a 1000 miles isn't out of the question at all. I wished I had a spare tank though. Stopping every 100 miles to fill up is a pain kinda. Though my ass would say it was just fine stopping every hour and a half.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 PM

wow that is a long trip on a 1200 Sportster. I have driven a 2003 model across town and my hands and feet felt kind of numb from the vibration on the bike. But I overlooked because of the power that was harnessed under my butt. That was a fun bike but not too sure I would travel 500 mile or even 200. WOW

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 PM
KAT

I'm up for a trip to Pikes Peak, I have a slight advantage, I can see Pikes Peak from my back deck. Beware carburetors can act a little funny at 14,000 ft

1993 37,xxx miles
Splines Lubed
Turn Signals Relocated
Hard Saddlebags
Acct Springs Replaced
Coastered
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Overkill? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT View Post
I'm up for a trip to Pikes Peak, I have a slight advantage, I can see Pikes Peak from my back deck. Beware carburetors can act a little funny at 14,000 ft
Ya I was kinda wondering how bad it would be taking a bike that's tuned for sea level up to that height...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold4x4 View Post
Ya I was kinda wondering how bad it would be taking a bike that's tuned for sea level up to that height...
https://thunderproducts.com/product/...ycle-kawasaki/

There was a member here (forget name) who installed one of these dial a jets on his vn750 and said it worked like a charm climbing up and down the mountains.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement