so Ruger will get off my back,Florida Ride report. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
so Ruger will get off my back,Florida Ride report.

Most of you know I did a little week trip to Fla back in Oct. , man has it been this long ?

This was neither long planned nor well thought out the BIL's wife passed away after a long bout with throat cancer and I couldn't make it down for the funeral so I went down the following week. Just to hang with him and catch up and just let him be himself without a whole crowd of people around, after all I half raised him ,he stayed with me from the time he was old enough to drive until he got married.

The trip was supposed to start Monday at 5 AM from here and head south. Well, the man in charge of such stuff as the weather decided that about 3 AM we needed a good down pour until late that afternoon, leaving a day later looked like the smart plan. So I checked out the weather Radar model for the next AM. I will interject here, that when it says model that's just a swag be cause it was showing more of the same until midnight Monday and then clearing off. Up at 4 AM next morning and loaded my bags on the bike with all my normal gear. I threw on the crash bar chaps since I was expecting the road to be wet and those things keep the wind and road spry off your lower legs. It was damp and about 56 degrees so I put on the under armor sweats and a pair of goretex over pants and the trusty old leather Bomber Jacket on mounted my phone on the bars after I had mapped my route to Asheville NC. put my helmet on and got the bluetooth synced up with the Phone. I was about to back out of the shed and turn on the tunes but wait , do I hear something? Why yes I do, pulled of the lid and listened , I hear rain on the metal roof as Ruger would say "Blast".

By this time I was convinced it was a stray shower that would let up shortly. Wrong! It got heavier and heavier. I have a personal rule, I don't leave home in the rain, in the dark. I may have to come home under those conditions (more on this later) but I don't leave here in said conditions. So I trudged back in the house and sat there pouting still in full gear with front door open listening to it rain, got too warm with my clothes on so I stripped back down partially and decide to brew up another pot of coffee

I turned on the tube and drank coffee and watched the local early morning news with a particular interest in the weather forecast. I don't know why , by this time I had decided that weather prognosticators will lie to you at least as often as a farrier( Google it if you don't know what a farrier is , if you do know what one is you understand). Said pot of Costa Rican Rainforest blend Shuffle Bean coffee was gone and I sense the rain is letting up. I brewed another one and filled my Thermos to go. It didn't quite hold it all so drank what was left too, did another check through the house to make sure everything was tuned off and locked up, I guess your wondering why I am saying so much about my coffee consumption this particular morning, There is a reason, it had a lot of bearing on the first leg of this journey.

Hey, the rain has stopped and the liars on WYMT say it's gone for the day, geared back up, locked up rolled out of the shed and fired the beast up.. I am off!! But it is 8:30 by now and daylight is burning. The roads are still wet with some ponding on the road surface. I take it easy out of the twisty 4 miles of road I live on and hit the 4 lane towards Pikeville KY , didn't make it 20 miles and between being so jacked up on Caffeine and tar snakes on one particular road, I was so nervous that my insides felt like they were vibrating and my eyeballs were floating so I stopped and drained at least 4 gallons of fluids from my body. While I was stopped,went ahead and topped off hoping to make it to VA for the next fuel stop. well that worked out but I had to stop in Pikeville any way for some more drainage, I know drinking that much coffee before a trip is a rookie mistake. Any way the trip so far had been uneventful and I had guessed right on the amount of clothing as I was dry and warm even with the amount of road spray from the large trucks and the tar snakes making the bike feel squirrely. Rode down US 23 and made a fuel stop in Norton VA and then in Johnson City TN hit some more light rain briefly and rode on into NC On four lane I 81, I think? I was cruising along snug as a bug but I forgot about those mountains heading into Asheville . it got a bit chilly getting on into Asheville where I stopped for a snack and some more gas ,coffee and a cigar. While sitting on a picnic table in the fair city. I had a conversation with an older dude and found out that the city was at one time built around the sanitarium business ,where all the folks with TB and the money sent their loved one to live in the pure mountain air. According to my new friend The Biltmore Estate was to come later

That's enough for now and I'll try to pick up where I left off soon , if any one is interested, Later.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 01-26-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Most of you know I did a little week trip to Fla back in Oct. , man has it been this long ?
yes. it's been THAT long!

with that being said......it's about time!

well, you know what they say "better late, than never".

now I feel like "Chuckles" and I can't wait for the next installment. woo hoo! you go Denny!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:28 AM

Definitely interested in hearing more. I love reading about road trips. I also love reading about other peoples mistakes and misfortunes, but that's just so I don't feel so bad about my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Yea Denny I wouldn't want ruger on my back either.and I HATE tar snakes.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 01-26-2015 at 10:01 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Yea Denny I wouldn't want ruger on my back either.and I HATE tar snakes.
yea, what's up with that pesky guy anyways?!...... lol

wet tar snakes are the worst!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:03 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
yea, what's up with that pesky guy anyways?!...... lol

wet tar snakes are the worst!
My bike went into a tank slapper a couple of years ago(the Swiss cheese frame didn't help)because of wet tar snakes causing me to lay it down at about 30

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Mod

I give you a lot of credit, Denny. After 2 days of rain, I'd of jumped in the cage. Good for you toughing it out.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 11:06 PM

Garage
Denny,,,,, clearing throat, arms folded, foot tapping, patiently waiting........
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post

That's enough for now and I'll try to pick up where I left off soon , if any one is interested, Later.
2009? That's just how I would have ended it Denny.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Part Deux, lol

To Ruger, Yes I realized it had been a while but I finally got bored enough to start on this.

Deviate, I wish I had known how close I ended up to where you are.

Birdhunter I would like to think I am tough but the beast is the newest ride on the farm and I might add the most economical.

Chuckles, I know you are always impatient for a good story,lol, and as you know we can both sing Keith Whitleys old song "I'm no Stranger to the Rain"

Where was I , Asheville NC this a question I would ask several times that day (where am I ?) This was around noon and I had put KY, Va,TN and a good part of Nc Behind me and was feeling pretty good about myself and my progress with a few minor setbacks at the start. time to saddle up and ride some more, Southwest I was headed on into SC I went. Keeping mind all this riding had been on slabs, if you want to count US 23 thru VA as slabbing it but it is one of the crookedest pieces of 4 lane road in the country and unlimited access so there are driveways and other roads intersecting it all along the way to the point it and I 81 merge. By this time I was getting pretty bored with all that and turned west onto another Interstate that took me over to Georgia ,27 , I believe, ted had told me of a good two lane of about 100 miles that ran south off this Interstate just inside the Georgia line that ran south to Macon, no Atlanta for me, thank you.

I thought to myself why not just two lane it all the way to Valdosta, so I stopped and reset my navigation to go from my to Valdosta, in hind sight I wish I had a real map to look at. The nav took me places I have never seen and heard of not a big deal but just how many pines ,pecan and peach trees does a man need to see?? I know a some of you have heard the expression "I have been all over hell and half of Georgia" Well I know the true meaning of that now !! Any who I did enjoy the Georgia country side fore about three hours before I began to get concerned about my whereabouts another hour or two layer and it was close to getting dark.

I found myself in a small college town which had to be the scooter capitol of the south. I saw a steak and shake and decided to stop and eat, deer jerky and snack crackers had ran out some where back in rural GA. So, fed and fueled up I started figuring which way I needed to go to hit Valdosta from where I was at, Holy cow it was another 100 miles from where I was, so I re routed and off through the Country I go It was fully dark by now and I'm running around the Georgia country side on the lookout for deer and other nocturnal critters including drunk rednecks.

After about 40 minutes of riding I rolled in to a sleepy looking town and gave up and asked the age old question . Where am I, other than somewhere in Georgia and bought me a monster energy, it was between 8 and 9 pm, and I was wearing down a little. The girl at the counter looked at me kinda odd and I said, no, I guess a better question is where am I in relation to I 75 ? This was a lot simpler question and this chick tells me about 15 miles that way. I decided to top off the tank while I was there and she comes out and check out the beast and noticed the tags and asked "you from KY" me "yep" and commented on my bike and asked where I was headed and I told her FL, She said that's a pretty good trip from here. which kind of puzzled me. I thanked her and headed out and realized she didn't have an accent and neither did I in that neck of the woods. Hillbilly perk, we all speak fluent hicktown English.

I rode the fifteen miles "That way" and found it to be closer to 12. The only problem was when I was looking to get on 75 south, I noticed I was only 10 miles south of Macon. I actually lost time trying to cut cross country but hey, I was riding and it was warm and I had shed a bunch of clothes back in Asheville and had just put my jacket back on at the last fuel stop and still had all the vents open. I was on 75 headed for FL, Life good , I ran into road milling and offset lanes and had to keep my head in the game and my eyes were getting tired . The BIL calls and says where are you? I told mim abit south of Macon and north of Valdosta, ..He tells me I have at least 5 more hrs of riding to get to his place . Which led me to the decision to find a room for the night and finish up on the next day. I stopped at a little burg called Vienna GA and haggled with an Indian dude for a single room and got one for thirty bucks, not the classiest joint but the room was clean and had a hot shower and a bed , I pulled my bike up on the sidewalk and parked it in front of my room unloaded all my stuff and locked everything down for the night. I'll continue from the next morning.. till the next installment , Good night.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement