To Hell and Back Again, a Ruger¯s Tale (The MI., Gathering 2014) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

To Hell and Back Again, a Ruger’s Tale (The MI., Gathering 2014)

WARNING! this is a post from HELL!

Geez, where to start?........hmm….well….. I guess I’ll start at the beginning….
Oh, wait, I know, let’s talk about the Weather! Blasted weatherman was totally wrong! But that ended up being a good thing! It was calling for 50-80% chance of rain every day (Friday-Sunday). So, this is one reason we decided to head up on Thursday night after work instead of Friday morning.

Thursday
Ok, so it’s Thursday, the wife got out of work early. early enough that she could get a few things done that we needed to get before we left for the trip. once again, my wife ROCKS!

By the time I got home from work, she had her bike all backed up, sitting in the driveway and she was ready to hit the road. All she needed do to was put on her gear. My bike was already backed up the night before and good to go. So, all I needed to do was change my clothes, put on my gear and hit the road. So, I get home from work and we are off.

The goal was to haul ass and try to get past “Deadman’s curve” before the “back up” starts. Well, we were doing pretty good on time, or so we thought. as we got just about a mile away from “Deadman’s curve”, the “back up” started. not to worry, good old Ruger had a “backup” plan (as I almost always do). We took a little detour through Cleveland, OH., instead of trying to go around the city. It worked like a charm. We were able to keep moving and we really didn’t loose any time either. it was a more scenic ride to boot!

After stopping in Sandusky, OH., for gas and a little break. We hit the road again. We took RT2 along the Lake shore coast into Toledo, OH., then headed up North into MI.. 30minutes into MI., we stopped at “Big Daddy’s Truck stop” for gas.
I gave Birddog a call. I got his voicemail and left him a message, letting him know we should be at the house in an hour or so.
Up to this point, we have not see a drop of rain! But as we looked up the road North, it looked pretty gray and of course, that was the way we were heading. But we only saw a few drops on our windshields just before our next stop in Dundee, MI.. we only saw rain once more and that was about a ½ mile from the house. But this was nothing more that a very light sprinkle, not even enough to wash off any of the bug guts that littered our wind shields. lol

In Dundee, MI ., we stopped by the “Christmas Store”, (for the wife). Although it was closed, it was still an interesting stop. Then we headed down the road and stopped at Cabela’s. we only had time for a photo shoot in front of the “Bears” at the entrance of the store and we were off again.

As we were cruising down RT50 (aka the green desert), the sun was setting, the sky was lit up with beautiful mix of clouds and colors. Although it was a very nice and scenic ride, that’s all that it was, “scenic”. RT50 in MI., is flat and straight for miles (hence the name “the green desert” lol ).

We cruised down RT50, until we get to the street that leads to the “road” (more like a gravel driveway than a road) that went around “Little Stony Lake”. the house we rented is at the very end of this road.

although the house that we were staying at was in the “Irish Hills” of MI., the wife and I had yet, to see even a single hill in all of MI., that we have been riding through up to this point. Then, when we got to the end of the “road”, we had to go up the gravel driveway to the house. Yup, it was on top of a hill. Lol

navigating up the twisty gravel driveway to the house, we find what we believe to be Birddog’s trailer, but not his car. we wonder if he is coming back or if in fact we were at the right house.
we park our bikes and start looking around the outside of the house. we were not sure if Birddog left the house unlock or not. after a few minutes we found an unlocked door and go inside.

after going through and checking out the whole house, we headed back to the bikes to unload. I grab the two 6-pack of Yuengling Oktoberfest out of the wife’s saddlebags and head back into the house. as I walk in through the "mud room", I notice a small refrigerator, I open it and looked inside and say "Holy Kaw"! inside I find sitting there chilling, was a not only a case of Yuengling Light, but a case of Yuengling Oktoberfest too! (I find out later), apparently, Denny couldn't make it to the Gathering and forfeited his deposit. He told Birddog to use the money for food. Obviously, Birddog used Denny’s deposit. For some reason, Birddog considers “beer” as food.
As the wife and I are getting the last of our stuff off the bikes, Birddog rolls up in his Ford Exploder. He had just run to the store to pick up some food. We greet him and we all go inside the house.

After we all get settled in, we crack some beers, sit around and talk about what is on the agenda for the weekend. Birddog lets me know what is going on with the rest of the people from MI., and since he didn’t know anyone was going to be at the house on Thursday night until the last minute, I fill in him in on who else were on their way up from Ohio.

a few beers later, Birddog hits the road and tells us he’ll be back tomorrow.
The wife and I have another beer and start texting Kanuck69 to see where he and the rest of the group were at. We got a text back saying they were in MI., on RT50, and they would be there soon.

Not much longer, we hear the roar of Rbauze’s Victory, Firetire2’s VN750 and Kanuck69’s VN900. then we see the light from the head lights coming down the road. Then it all stops. We see lights shining up the driveway, we hear the motorcycles running and we hear people talking. But it’s all at the bottom of the hill. we are wondering what is going on and what is taking them so long to come up the drive. We see a bike turn around and head back up the road. We start to wonder if the guys down at the bottom of the hill couldn't find the drive in the dark, because the road just ends and the drive is to the right and some what hidden too.
Then after a moment or two, the first bike rolls up the hill. It’s Kanuck69 and wife (6 of 9), then comes Rbauze and then Friretire2. woo hoo! They made it!

We go over to Kanuck69 and wife to greet them and the first thing out of his mouth is “I pulled a “Ruger”, at the bottom of the hill”! Meaning, he dumped his bike in the driveway. Doh! Sorry Kanuck69, but it looks like my “bad mojo” has moved on. Lol

Later, we are all settled in and having a few beers. the next thing I know, Rbauze and Kanuck69 pretend that they are in a marching band and start to play us a “tune”. Rbauze is blasting away on a French horn and Kanuck69 is blowing on a Trombone! Both are blowing and blasting as loud as they can! The rest of us can do nothing but sit there and laugh. We all laughed so hard, we were all in tears. that was just the start of the night! see what happens when you mix Buckeyes and Beer?! lol What a blast!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:10 PM
gun slinger

Garage
not going to lie that driveway scared the living $hit out of me

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Jack of all trades

Lol it was fun 2 up on the 750.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Then it was Friday.....
While having a light breakfast we were talking about taking a ride. but none of use knew anything about were we were and we tried to call Birddog to find out where he was and when he was going to get to the house. but we got his voicemail. The only thing I knew of in MI., that was somewhat near was Hell, MI.. so, Kanuck69 whipped out his Iphone and mapped a route to Hell, MI., and we were off like a shot.

Kanuck69, took us on a nice round about way to Hell, MI.. being MI., we had to make a few detours do to the road conditions (we wanted to avoid dirt roads). I will tell you what, some of the roads here in Ohio are not the best either, but I have never rode on any road that was so full of bumps and holes, that just about made me piss my pants, literally! Some of those roads up there in MI., really do suck!

We turn one last bend in the road and there it is, Hell, MI.. boy, the wife and I haven’t been there in a few years. Yup, it still looks the same. Lol we stop at the gift shop and check out all the cool stuff that they have and take a few picks in front of the “Welcome to Hell” sign. Next we head over to the other store for some ice cream. I must say, if anyone ever goes to Hell, MI., make sure to check out the “Grave Digger”, it’s awesome!

After enjoying some delicious ice cream on the front porch of the store in Hell, we were back on the bikes and heading back to the house. but first we had to make a quick stop at the store for more food and beer. yup, us Buckeyes like to eat and drink. Lol back at the house, Birddog shows up and tells us that his phone is not working. This is why we haven’t heard from him all day.

Next we are on the back deck enjoying some beers and cigars, when Nick Fury comes walking around the bushes to the deck. He says “Hi Friends” to us all and then looks at me and says “oh, wait, I've got something for you”. I say out load “oh boy! Do I really want to know?!” lol

Nick Fury returns and hands me a zip lock baggie filled with some “Nick Fury specials” and gives me a the warning “I wouldn't shoot those out of anything shorter that a 6” barrel”. Woo hoo! Sounds like a good time to me! Lol I tell him I’ll pop them off in my "snubby" and video it (film at 11, folks).

Some time (way) later, M_Angel, his wife, and his parents (Ma and Pa Kettle, who both are way cool!) get to the house. I don’t know, for someone that had one of the shortest rides to the house, it sure took them long enough to get there! Lol

even later, last but not least, Stone Pony finally gets there. Woo hoo! Now we can get this party started! Lol although it’s really late, dark and there isn’t a lot of room left on the concrete slab, but Stone Pony still finds a spot to park.

As we are all sitting around talking, drinking, laughing and just having a good old time. Nick Fury picks up his phone and say “hello?”. He starts talking to someone and after a few minutes comes back and then hands me his phone, I say “hello?” and I hear Denny6006’s voice! then I tell everyone else it’s Denny6006. we all get excited and start to hoot!
Then I ask “why did he call Nick Fury and not Kanuck69, Firetire2 or my wife’s phone. My wife checks her phone, and sees that in fact Denny6006 did call. Well, it turns out, he called ALL of our phones and nobody was answering, so he was just working his way down the list until someone did answer. Doh! Lol that was a real hoot! Thanks Denny6006. oh and of course you too Nick Fury for the use of your phone. Gee, I really hope you guys have unlimited talk on your phones. Because we all talked to Denny6006 for a long while.

Last edited by ruger; 09-15-2014 at 03:36 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 02:51 PM
gun slinger

Garage
yep have unlimited talk text yada yada ..... Verizon owns my soul !!!

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:15 PM

Garage
Like HELLO! Don't leave us hanging here. Need the rest of the story. So Denny called, and,,,,,,,,,,,,
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurynick View Post
I have Wally World straighttalk. I always have a signal, have unlimited EVERYTHING and for $45 a month. You have to buy your phone but I have a 4.2 inch scvreen android 4.x that works as well as any verizon phone for under $200. It's like freedom. Back to you Chet.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Mod

I was there, and I'm still waiting to see how it ends...

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
not going to lie that driveway scared the living $hit out of me
so,....it wasn't just me, then?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post
Lol it was fun 2 up on the 750.
you couldn't pay me to have that kind of fun!

Quote:
good thing! and I bet Verizon does too! lol

I just hope Denny has unlimited talk also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
Like HELLO! Don't leave us hanging here. Need the rest of the story. So Denny called, and,,,,,,,,,,,,
well, I would tell you,......but after I got done talking to Denny, I don't remember anything. so what's that tell ya?! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
I have Wally World straighttalk. I always have a signal, have unlimited EVERYTHING and for $45 a month. You have to buy your phone but I have a 4.2 inch scvreen android 4.x that works as well as any verizon phone for under $200. It's like freedom. Back to you Chet.
thanks for the commercial break. I may have to look into that, the next time I'm at Wally Word. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
I was there, and I'm still waiting to see how it ends...
how do you think I feel?! not only was I there, but I'm the one writing all this and I don't even know how it all ends!

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 PM

Garage
As Pink Floyd said, "HEY YOU, YES YOU, I'M STILL WAITING!" Make up some sheit. It's all good!

Birdhunter, M_Angell, help him out. Can't type 2 huge parts of a story and leave it there.

Oh and don't forget,,,,, it's coming,,,wait for it,,,,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement