Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

back of the dragon

4K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  06mater 
#1 ·
anyone thought about doing the back of the dragon this summer. if so hit me up. i live about 25 miles from there. would love to meet some of the members.

Sent from [urlamy=http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile]Motorcycle.com App[/url]

#6 ·
I've heard about it here in Wisconsin, some riders have made the trip down just to try it out.

Also heard it's considerably dangerous at speeds(no duh) but some bikers try to take it fast and there are plenty of road side crosses for those people. Any merit to the myth?

#7 ·
#8 ·
If Back of the Dragon is anything like Tail of the Dragon I'll pass. 11 miles of Tail of the Dragon is enough, I don't think I'd want to ride 300 miles of curves like that. I plan to ride the Tail again this spring but 300+ miles of GA and NC hills round trip for me is about my limit. Moonshiner 28 is a pretty good ride too but usually I pick a direction rather than a destination. Tons of good roads around me and after a few hours of just riding I can turn on the gps if I'm unsure of how to get started back and roll on back to the barn.

Turning down unknown and new roads makes my lady friend nervous but there are just too many good roads to explore.

#14 ·
your only about 3 hours away. im about 1 1/2 hours from charelston. thats probably half way. we may half to meet up in charelston when the bikers go protest this year.

#16 ·
Ah, that would be it. Thanks!

#18 ·
well looks like September 11 to the 19th ill have some vacation time so im planning on riding both the back and the tail of the dragon. looking at state parks for camping and some other places to hit on the was home.

#20 ·
We ought to get a "tag-team" type ride. Riders from up north head south, get down into NC or GA. Southern riders meet up and join them riding north before heading back, Everybody gets a good 2-4 day ride and a day or two to visit as we travel.

#21 ·
if i end up at deal's gap im only 215 miles from lynchburg. too close to pass on going for a distillery tour

#23 ·
Ha, ha, Lynchburg is 24 mi. from my house and I have never did the tour...lol... I do ride to Lynchburg quite often as it is a good lil twistie ride on the back roads...
You gotta holler if you do...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#22 ·
Lynchburg has some possibilities but probably best left for the end of the day; the road has enough curves LOL

#25 ·
Old Dog, these dragon tails around here is where I got all my driver's ed. It all seems second nature now.

There's always something in the road, most of the time I miss it, sometimes not though. Went through a flock of turkey one day last Fall, they never lost a feather but I was expecting to do a body count. Ran over five deer in one shot, in my pickup, I was to heavily loaded to slam on the brakes and they obeyed my command to "come right on out boys". My riding buddy holds the record for most deer hit on a bike, apparently the Boulevard doesn't weave and dodge very well.

#26 ·
Ha, ha, know what you mean, I'm actually an E. Tn. boy myself, or I should say an Appalachian American... I was born & grew up between La Follette Tn. and Middlesboro Ky., love them mountains & lakes...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#27 · (Edited)
I'm about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from Charleston too.I worked out of St. Albans for a fork truck dealership ,Jefferds Corp. for years. We had guys that worked down Princeton way and had a shop in Parkersburg too.

I want in on this tag team ride too. If you are heading south I can be in Welch or Grundy about the same amount or less time. I just Live across the river from WV in KY ,about 10 miles from Kermit WV.

#29 ·
http://mapq.st/1du3IF3

if i did that right, its my basic route ill take to cover what i want to see. ill add more stops to meet people along the way. i have set aside 9/12 thru 9/17 to do the round trip

#30 · (Edited)
Damn, waiting until September sure seems like a long wait. Mid-summer would probably work better for most of us if we try a tag team ride. A group needs to start at the top or the bottom. Have a 3-4 day itinerary with one start place and one midday stop scheduled. Other riders join in at those set stops and ride the course with everyone riding their 3-4 day loop. For people with more restricted schedules they could join up for a day. join us for the night, and head back to the barn. Members who live close to the route who aren't riding can offer support by supplying their phone #'s if someone's bike needs a little TLC.

We all get some good riding and company and get a once in a lifetime meet as we travel together. New people joining and leaving as they completed their loop.

Say us Southern folks start from Dahlonega GA Day one. ride for 3 hours and plan to stop for an hour at the base of Deals Gap NC (Tail of the Dragon) before riding another few hours and just find a dirt cheap motel close to the agreed upon next meeting point. Two scheduled places to be per day, the rest of the ride is free form as long as the next stop is arrived at by a set time. Say 9am meet up-rolling at 10 and 1pm before rolling again at 2. plenty of time for food and hangovers. A chase truck would be a nice safety to have along but I'm willing to ride without one.

With a 3 day ride (round trip) at 350 miles a day the Northern end could easily get up to southern PA. With a 4 day ride who knows how many members could join.

Yes we could cover more miles but the idea is for a relaxed ride for all on our less than super comfortable seats and time for a little exploring if the urge hits.

#31 ·
that sounds like a lot of fun. i live near I 81 and 77 at Princeton and bluefield so a lot of riders would be close. if they ride the back of the dragon i could meet up anywhere close and help with directions and other things in the area. I'm only 30 miles north on the tazewell side. i also work ems in grundy so the ones coming from ky would also be pretty close by too. i think that it would be awsome. earlier in the summer would be good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#32 ·
A thought to make the ride more user friendly. Members like me who live fairly close to the route can let some of or much of the group crash at their place. My place isn't super nice but with 7 acres we could have one hell of a cookout the night before and again when the Northern riders need to stop at the southern end of the route. May be sleeping rough but it may allow a few of the guys from SC, FL, and AL to join the ride and minimize expenses.

#33 ·
with the ride in june and strange days in july i need to recover a bit financially before heading south. mid september can still be brutal with heat and hurricane weather but it shouldnt be as bad as mid summer.

#37 ·
Trying to recall where Jefferds used to be up here, but I bet I've hauled machines from that building after the new company moved in. I think Portman might have the building now.

You guys are obviously in better shape than I am, but I'll still try to link up on this end of 16 if you guys make the trip. I just never know what shape I'm in until I get out of bed. So I'm pretty much a day rider, ride one day, take the next off. Major feat today was walking to the mailbox, watching for swing arm caps in the mail. oops, somebody failed to glue them on.

#43 ·
Yep Lake Eden is Camp Rockmont. Used to park there as I snuck into the rock quarry across the street, Incredible bass fishing in the old quarries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.