Must have!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Bearcat

Must have!!!

I found an app on the apple store last night that's a must have or a mc rider. The best part is its free right now. The apps called Greatest Road. I found it by searching road map. It lets u plot and save routs for rides, shows routs outhers have posted up an, I don't have a GPS, send the rout to your GPS. I've added 2 rides already and I must say its easy to use.

I would just like to say I'm not affiliated with any part of the app but was just wonting to let my fellow riders on here know about it. I plan on puting it to good use my self.

Any one else have a gem of an app for riding they would like to share?

Keep her rubber side down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

James, I have resisted a smart phone ever since they came out, but now they have killed (no more radar) the weather app on my dummy phone and you are pushing my button...lol... That sounds good, would be much less to worry with than my laptop with Delorme Topo probably... I may look into getting a smart phone...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

I must say OldDog my opinion on smartphones was much like yours at first, but after I broke my laptop I decided to give it a try. Now instead of having a laptop with carrying case and toting around a GPS device, along with a phone , I have it all in one bundle, you have a world encyclopedia in your pocket. You know those questions that pop up in your head and its annoying the crap outta ya tryin to remember the answer? No more of that. Although I do still carry a road atlas on the long haul.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesoct1990 View Post
I found an app on the apple store last night that's a must have or a mc rider. The best part is its free right now. The apps called Greatest Road. I found it by searching road map. It lets u plot and save routs for rides, shows routs outhers have posted up an, I don't have a GPS, send the rout to your GPS. I've added 2 rides already and I must say its easy to use.

I would just like to say I'm not affiliated with any part of the app but was just wonting to let my fellow riders on here know about it. I plan on puting it to good use my self.

Any one else have a gem of an app for riding they would like to share?
I would like to use that app myself but once again you have to be an Iphone user to run it as it is not currently available for Android devices.I hate Apple almost as bad as Blackberry.Looks like I am going to have to drink the Kool Aid and go with an Iphone when I upgrade. I just don't like the idea of having to deal with Itunes on every thing.

My HTC is a couple of years old and I am due an upgrade before long .I may get an Iphone this time. I will admit that the iphone is easier to operate but they just don't have the features that Android does ,without going through Itunes. This just means I will have to load Itunes on my PC .my biggest peeve is I can't just load music or other content onto my PC from anything Apple but Apple will suck up anything they can from IBM. I hate that one way street.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
I would like to use that app myself but once again you have to be an Iphone user to run it as it is not currently available for Android devices.I hate Apple almost as bad as Blackberry.Looks like I am going to have to drink the Kool Aid and go with an Iphone when I upgrade. I just don't like the idea of having to deal with Itunes on every thing.

My HTC is a couple of years old and I am due an upgrade before long .I may get an Iphone this time. I will admit that the iphone is easier to operate but they just don't have the features that Android does ,without going through Itunes. This just means I will have to load Itunes on my PC .my biggest peeve is I can't just load music or other content onto my PC from anything Apple but Apple will suck up anything they can from IBM. I hate that one way street.
Just a little fare warning I thought about going to an iPhone from my htc evo and I'm really glad I didn't. The screen is a lot smaller and the htc is so much easier to navigate IMO. Besides you can get similar navi apps on android plus your right iTunes suck IMO!

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Bearcat

Actually mine an iPod touch. I have to hook into wifi to use the app properly but it's still handy that I can pull up new routs and write down my own directions on paper. If I get lost most restraints have free wifi any way. I can pull into a McDonald's and get my bearings . Plus I don't have to try and rember all the difrent rides I've been on cause I can retrace my rout and save it on the app for future reference.

Keep her rubber side down.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesoct1990 View Post
Actually mine an iPod touch. I have to hook into wifi to use the app properly but it's still handy that I can pull up new routs and write down my own directions on paper. If I get lost most restraints have free wifi any way. I can pull into a McDonald's and get my bearings . Plus I don't have to try and rember all the difrent rides I've been on cause I can retrace my rout and save it on the app for future reference.
That James, is the most useful thing for my el-cheapo Garmin Nuvi GPS, I just turn it on, and when it finds itself, I hit home and get headed in the right direction... You sure won't find a McDonalds where I ride, maybe an old McDonald's farm, if you're lucky...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Just a regular guy

I hate apple also...

http://www.greatestroad.com/

That is their website... the have an app for android call the ultimate drive, its not centered on motorcycles, but I'm downloading it to check it out.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM

...whats an "app" ???....guessing an "application" run on a cell phone ?....not THIS white boy....

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I also run the Motorcycle.com app to browse the forum from my mobile (Sony Xperia TL, Android 2.14). There is a free version, and it has all the moderation features so it's killer for me.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat