what is your BEST/Longest ride with VN750? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

what is your BEST/Longest ride with VN750?

I'm just curious after reminiscing about a trip a made a couple of years ago. I would love to live vicariously through you all, so feel free to embellish a bit. But here's mine...

I live in SLC and my girl spent a couple of semesters at ASU in Tempe AZ. Naturally I was happy, because I got to work on my bike, truck, and basically do what ever I wanted, and just head down every other weekend or so. Early summer rolls around and I get the balls to actually take the 10 hour solo-ride on my VN750.

It was an awesome trip. I rolled out of town at about 4:30 am and headed down I-15. From SLC to Beaver, UT was a drag--literally, I burned a tank of gas in 68 miles driving head on into winds--but from hwy-20 to hwy-89 the trip turned great. Lots of great twists through hwy-20, which is only a 20 mile stretch connecting I-15 and US-89. US-89 heads through Panguitch, Kanab, UT; Page, Flagstaff, AZ. 89 twisted me right through Dixie National Forest, Bryce Canyon National Park. In AZ the ride takes goes on through Lake Powell, Tonto National Forest; but the highlight of the trip is 10-15 miles south of Page when I came out of a man made cut in the rock. If you have driven the stretch between Page and Flagstaff, you know what I'm talking about. You can see for miles and miles, I believe you can see the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

In a car, I could do this trip in 9.5 to 10 hours. I took a hell of a lot more breaks on the bike and arrived at 6:30, so 14 hours. 720 miles, 480 miles of which are arguably the best miles that this country has to offer. So in total, round trip was about 1440 miles, 26 hours on the bike (I did the return trip much faster), 4 days (2 days for riding, 2 days with my lady), a blown left fork seal, front ACCM spring finally had enough, and one rear tire (which held up, but was practically bald by the time I got home).

http://mapq.st/ZsDMVv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Sounds like a beautiful ride for spring or fall when it is not too hot.

Quote:
So in total, round trip was about 1440 miles, 26 hours on the bike (I did the return trip much faster), 4 days (2 days for riding, 2 days with my lady), a blown left fork seal, front ACCM spring finally had enough, and one rear tire (which held up, but was practically bald by the time I got home).
How did you repair the ACCT? Replacement springs from TOC? MCCT from TOC?
Or modify the ACCT into a Manual CCT?

Most of my riding is commuting 11 miles to work. Longest ride is only 100-120 miles to Medicine Hat, Alberta to visit my 2nd daughter and her family just after I got the Vulcan in May 2008. My oldest daughter's 4 kids took turns riding with grandpa on the bike, while the other 3 rode chase with mom and grandma in the minivan, waiting for their turn on the pillon seat. Not really a very exciting ride on long straight prairie roads looking at grain fields most of the way.

The only other trip any distance from home was last summer on a group ride with 15 or so other riders about 80 miles to Nanton, Alberta's Second World War Air Museum. They have a Lancaster bomber they are restoring, and we rode up to see it while they fired up one of the engines which they had just finished rebuilding. Pretty impressive plane for the time.

On the ride back we split up into several groups who chose different routes home. I rode back with 3 others who were all riding bigger bikes, and set a pretty hot pace (for me anyway) at 80-90 mph, so that was the longest and fastest ride I have taken so far.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 03-15-2013 at 10:05 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I have ridden from Roby Tx to Castroville Tx. About an 8 hrs ride on back roads. On the return trip tokk about 5 hrs. About 350 mile give or take a few miles. It was a fun ride on the vulcan.
In the mid 80 rode from Sweetwater Tx to Longview Tx. The ride was on a 650 maxim.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
How did you repair the ACCT? Replacement springs from TOC? MCCT from TOC?
Or modify the ACCT into a Manual CCT?
When I got home I read Wib714's DIY mod to the existing housing. So I did that, with a 6mmx30 bolt, a locking nut, a flat steel washer and a neoprene washer. I was always super scared to lock that thing down too tight so when the rear one started ticking last Nov., right before I shut it down for the winter, I figured I'd just cough up the cash and get the machined, high quality TOC's. I actually just ordered them this week because riding weather is finally in SLC, we'll see how they treat me. Biggest reason for the switch was the sketchy soft Al. housing, next problem, they kind of look like a crazy tinkerer jimmy rigged the bike just enough to run, and lastly the rear mod would require me to either use a shorter bolt, or move the coolant tank.

Nothing is much more fun than giving the youngsters a ride. My nieces and nephews ask for rides every time they see me, even if I'm driving my cage. Haha. I usually just take them on spins around my parents neighborhood.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

My longest ride so far was the trip me and my ol lady made from houston to san antonio that's when I found out that a weak charging system will cause your bike to over heat wasn't spinning the fan fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 AM

SF-LA in 4.5 hours.

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Garage
To date I would have to say my 2 favorite long rides were :

from Northern NJ to Washington DC for Rolling Thunder - about 250 miles...and return trip for total of about 500 miles....solo trip.

from Northern NJ to Lake George NY for Americade...about 200 miles one way. The wife was on the back, so we wound up taking rest stops often for her....kinda ruined the rhythm of the open road riding for me....lol

I love long rides on open highway just as much as the twisties on the back roads.

Have been known to go for all day rides with friends in the NY/NJ area and rack up over 150 in a day...just for the fun of it!

I plan on one day making the cross country trip from NJ to Los Angeles to visit my brother.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Awesome ride from Lake Powell/Page to Flagstaff! We took the boat from LP and went to the North Rim Lodge once to check it out. It was 104 at Lake Powell and at the North Rim Lodge it was snowing, all in the same day. We were still wearing our swim suits LOL. What an experience and a wonderful area of the country. Try the trip going from Gallup, NM along 204 over to Page sometime. Amazing area.

I envy your ride. A must ride on the bike one day.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Tail of the dragon was great, drove from NJ through VA blue ridge parkway, across NC to TN then back the blue ridge park way again, fun time, me and dad did that in 08. 2200 miles or so. not on a 750, on 800's
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Jack of all trades

Longest ride for me was a few years ago when we got.a.whole bunch of us vn750 forum members together for a gathering in Ohio. It ended up being a 6.5 hour ride...2 up, after working all day. I was fine, but the wife wanted off the bike after about 3 hours lol. That was a fun ride down and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement