Bike Ride meetup site - Just an idea at the moment - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Bike Ride meetup site - Just an idea at the moment

Hey Guys & Gals,

So I'm kinda new to the bike scene, but have owned scooters and only rode solo in the past. I've been trying to hunt down riding buddies and clubs. Problem is with Clubs I'm a bit uncomfortable due to a few factors I will not go into here in the public eye.

Anyway I an idea hit me! What is there was a website that was kinda a cross between a social network and a ride buddy finder. I'm thinking of something where riders would have profiles and they could set up a ride that others could sign up to, and those rides would be searchable based on location. Each member would have a rating/review system attached to them similar to how couchsurfing.com is set up, so as a way for people to post reviews of those who hosted the ride and the host can post reviews on those that rode. This way people could get an idea of who they would be riding with and also it would be a safety messure.

I don't think the site would be too hard to build (it's what I do for a living anyway), and I already bought a domain name that I think fits the idea (LANESTAGGER.COM).

So what do you all think about this idea. I personally thought it could be a great way to find other riders outside of just joining a club, or say you are looking at doing a multi day trip and would like to have a buddy come along.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's input on their thoughts of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Oh also let me add. I actually already have the core starting point, because I currently have an unused license for a social networking script from a previous project from a few years back that never got off the ground.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 AM
Jack of all trades

Sounds kinda cool. I'm not much for social networking but my wife loves it. I might check it out if it gets off the ground.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

sounds a lot like.......welll?.....this site! lol

yeah, we can and have done that here. but, don't get me wrong, your idea sounds good too. go for it. I know there is a site for roads in Ohio (I put a link later when I have time) that people show the route and give reviews/ratings on them.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 02-13-2013 at 05:17 AM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
sounds a lot like.......welll?.....this site! lol

yeah, we can and have done that here. but, don't get me wrong, your idea sounds good too. go for it. I know there is a site for roads in Ohio (I put a link later when I have time) that people show the route and give reviews/ratings on them.
Haha... totally not stepping on toes with what I'm thinking. Plus it's not bike specific.

Here is kinda a brief rundown of what I'm looking at feature wise.

Users would be able to "create a ride" kinda like posting an event. When doing so they would set way points using maybe the Google Maps directions tool. They would be able to set multiple points if it's a longer ride, like for a multi-day ride. They would be able to give details such as meal spots, and over night stay spots. Other users could then "search for rides" in their area and join the ride similar to an RSVP feature. If the ride is a mult-day ride or there are some stopping points along the route users could choose to join the ride at one of those points instead of the whole ride. When a user runs a search for rides within their area, and it's a multi-day ride where a stop point is in their area then it would also show up for them.

The second important feature would be where users could write reviews for each other, kinda like a vouching for that person.

Some other features I was thinking maybe to add would be

Ride News
News section allows posting of general information related to Traveling. This could be current happenings or travel warnings about particular areas or simply historical and informative data.

Single Ride Forum
To facilitate discussion on a Trip

Ride Videos
To allow those who were on the ride to post videos from the ride.

Feedback
Riders cand rate and comment the ride.

Social sharing
Allow to share the ride on twitter, facebook, and the likes

Other maybes Chat, Photo share, user blogs, user created groups

Please know the last thing I'd want to do is step on the toes of this awesome and informational forum.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

is there an echo in here? lol

like I have said...been there, done that. right here on this forum. lol and it is not "bike specific". it was/is open to any one with any bike.

but also like I said "go for it".

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
is there an echo in here? lol

like I have said...been there, done that. right here on this forum. lol and it is not "bike specific". it was/is open to any one with any bike.

but also like I said "go for it".

Was it done in just a forum thread or are there features on the site that I haven't found? If there are please let me know, because it would save me a lot of work and hassle, as this project would not be a money making venture but rather a labor of love.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

here's just a few links I found;

www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Ohio_111.html

www.motorcycleroads.us/states/oh.html

www.touringbikers.com/motorcycle-roads-ohio.html

www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=111

www.openroadjourney.com/rides-and-roads/ohio

these will/can give some idea of what is already out there, this way you and can improve/build on these ideas. I like where you where going with this. believe me, if you are willing to put in the time, work and "hassle" (as you put it) in to it, then please do it! I think you could/would get a lot of help from right here on this forum.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM

www.meetup.com is what you are looking for. Create a Motorcycle Ride group and you're off. Funny - of all the groups they have, there is not one for motorcycling - and it needs one.

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACataldo View Post
www.meetup.com is what you are looking for. Create a Motorcycle Ride group and you're off. Funny - of all the groups they have, there is not one for motorcycling - and it needs one.
just checked out that site, interesting. but yeah, no motorcycle ride groups. lol

see StonePoet, I told you people would be willing to help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement