Riding with old dog - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding with old dog

I pm'd Old Dog earlier this week and asked him if he was riding this weekend and could I go up the Tennessee and meat up for a Tennessee twisties ride. Said sure come on up. Folks, I have met the nicest man in Tennessee I do believe. Got to his house at 9 o'clock, unloaded my bike off the trailer. Yes, I did trailer the bike 83 miles up to his place cause the ride is about to begin. Bobby, Old Dogs friend, is pulling in ready to go with us. Any rust that had gathered on the rings of my bike while I've been off from riding with the leg got cleaned off in the first 20 miles of the ride. HOLY SMOKES ANDY!, we hit the mountain base and they shot off up that curving sucker like,,,, well lets just say Old Dog's right peg in daylight looked like a side grinder on steel,,, at 70 mph! HE AIN'T scared. That man can ride! Bobby was leading the pack. I didn't know a Goldwing would hang like that. All I could say to him at the first stop is 'you crazy fellow'. I think I prayed all the way to the top of that mountain!! Then we went down the other side!! Prayed the Lord was on the bike with me!

Man, What a ride. They took me on a 220 mile ride today, 6 hr.s seat time, of some of the twistiest roads in the area. My first trip on these roads did add to the excitement of course but more than once I felt the tires sliding in a few curves. I had wear marks all the way to the out side edge of the tire tread. If you ever get the chance to ride with Old Dog, Be Prepared. The Harley handles more like a crotch rocket. He don't slack off for anything. Well, maybe if there are goats all in the road..... That's another story. Tired for one day.

As I said to start. Old Dog is a class act. Could talk with him for hours. Thanks feller for showing me the country side up your way and a great time. Well worth the trip.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 08-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
I pm'd Old Dog earlier this week and asked him if he was riding this weekend and could I go up the Tennessee and meat up for a Tennessee twisties ride. Said sure come on up. Folks, I have met the nicest man in Tennessee I do believe. Got to his house at 9 o'clock, unloaded my bike off the trailer. Yes, I did trailer the bike 83 miles up to his place cause the ride is about to begin. Bobby, Old Dogs friend, is pulling in ready to go with us. Any rust that had gathered on the rings of my bike while I've been off from riding with the leg got cleaned off in the first 20 miles of the ride. HOLY SMOKES ANDY!, we hit the mountain base and they shot off up that curving sucker like,,,, well lets just say Old Dog's right peg in daylight looked like a side grinder on steel,,, at 70 mph! HE AIN'T scared. That man can ride! Bobby was leading the pack. I didn't know a Goldwing would hang like that. All I could say to him at the first stop is 'you crazy fellow'. I think I prayed all the way to the top of that mountain!! Then we went down the other side!! Prayed the Lord was on the bike with me!

Man, What a ride. They took me on a 220 mile ride today, 6 hr.s seat time, of some of the twistiest roads in the area. My first trip on these roads did add to the excitement of course but more than once I felt the tires sliding in a few curves. I had wear marks all the way to the out side edge of the tire tread. If you ever get the chance to ride with Old Dog, Be Prepared. The Harley handles more like a crotch rocket. He don't slack off for anything. Well, maybe if there are goats all in the road..... That's another story. Tired for one day.

As I said to start. Old Dog is a class act. Could talk with him for hours. Thanks feller for showing me the country side up your way and a great time. Well worth the trip.
You are very welcome, best ride I have had in a good bit, and I enjoyed the ride & friendship very much myself...
Granny said, let her know what y'all like for breakfast and next time she would fix some breakfast...
I'll have to say one thing y'all wore my old tail out, it was worth it though...lol... I believe y'all were right, that Charley horse in my left leg was probably due to dehydration, I need to and will drink more water next time...
Sunday I was still wore out, but had promised a friend that after church I would help him lay out a shop that he is goin to build, well just a bit of work and I was about laid out myself...lol...
I ride quite a bit by myself, but really enjoy ridin with 2 or 3 riders, and that was one with a couple of folks that I really enjoyed ridin with... Good speeds and fairly safe, well safe enough...
Speakin of Bobby & the Goldwing, he's rode the Dragon a few times with Yellow Wolf as I understand, anyway he don't let any dust gather under that Wing, I really like ridin with him...lol...
Comin up out of Southpittsburg on Hwy. 156, that was some very good twisties that those darn cages & camper trailers cheated us out of, if we had been ahead of them that was some very good ridin...
Long story of it is, I enjoyed the ride as much as anyone, come on up any time you wish, we could even hit Eastern Tn., or maybe next year even make the trip up to Stanton Ky. and meet up with Denny and his ridin folks...
Have a good one, and welcome back anytime...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:06 PM

I gotta say i LOVED reading this account. Mainly because it reminds me of back home in WV... where i've ridden them roads. The mountains around Prince and Gauley Bridge seem comparable in excitement.

Since moving to central VA, i dont get to ride there much as my old back cant handle that much punishment anymore... but now that i own a pickup. I'm thinking i might just get my bike hauled there and take them back roads on once again !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement