CW-4's Hocking Hills Trip - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

CW-4's Hocking Hills Trip

So I got all packed up and departed on the morning of July 28th around 7am. Wanted to ride in the morning as the temps down here were close to 100.

Road back roads or US Hi-ways for the most part of the trip going North. My first day took me thru Abbyville, AL, US 431 to Columbus, GA, GA 219 to La Grange GA, US 27 to Rome, GA and then cut over Northeast to Cleveland, GA. From there it was US 64 to Ducktown.

Once on US 64 the ride started to pick up in scenery, and it was much cooler temp wise. 64 winds along the Ocoee River and Lake and in the mountains, so there was plenty of nice twisty road there.Following-the-Ocoee-Down-In-Tennessee

From Ducktown I went north on TN Hwy 68. Nice ride there too. Did get a slight shower for about 10 minutes, but found a place that I could pull over and wait it out. Here"s a link for a review on that road. TN-Hwy-68--from-Ducktown-to-Telico-Plains

After reaching Telico Plains, I camped for two nights at Sourwood Camp Ground in the National Forrest. The camp ground was on the Tellico River and was about a 15 mile ride along the river to reach it.

The next day I spent all day riding around, running the Tail of the Dragon, the Cherohala Skyway, The Hellbender 28 and a few other roads.

After leaving the Telico Plains area I headed up to Lebanon, VA camped the night at Hidden Valley Lake, then off again, camping at Grapevine near Phyllis, KY. Then off to find Denny.

Found him, along with Ted and Jack.

Some of the best people you can ride with. Plus they keep you entertained with all the stories they have.

After a nights rest the four of us went off to Hocking Hills and spent a two days riding up in that area.

Denny handed me off to Buddy and we linked up with Jason and Michelle on the 4th of Aug.

We road down to Lucusville, OH where we departed ways. They heading back towards Columbus and me off to find some of my family.

After visiting family I took off and head back home.
Total trip, 2,305 miles or so.....

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Glad to hear you made home and enjoyed yourself,you are welcome in this neck of the woods anytime Dave,we had a great time.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 08-12-2012 at 07:01 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM

Awesome pics bro !!!!
Can ya give me some info on how ya attached that backpack ?...Im planning a few overnight rides this autumn and would need to carry some stuff (like to Slim's and Doc's)...I have an older Alpine Designs backpack w/alum frame...do I need to extend the sissy ?...I can add to the tube frame now since my seat's modded...I got some round steel too....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW-4 View Post

Some of the best people you can ride with. Plus they keep you entertained with all the stories they have.
Tell your buddy I love his ST1100. I have to get a set of highway pegs like those on mine ASAP!

Awesome trip report

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
Tell your buddy I love his ST1100. I have to get a set of highway pegs like those on mine ASAP!

Awesome trip report
Tyler that is a 1990 PC 800,and as he said it ain't for sale,lol .I took it for a little spin while up in OH and loved it.Seems this bike has a pretty rabid following like the vn750 ,it has an 800cc V- twin and does remind you of an ST,I have been looking at an ST 1300 and a ride on this bike makes me want one even worse

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 08-12-2012 at 09:03 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Awesome pics bro !!!!
Can ya give me some info on how ya attached that backpack ?...Im planning a few overnight rides this autumn and would need to carry some stuff (like to Slim's and Doc's)...I have an older Alpine Designs backpack w/alum frame...do I need to extend the sissy ?...I can add to the tube frame now since my seat's modded...I got some round steel too....
My backpack just slides over the extended sissy bar and I use a few bungees to help keep it centered. As for the sleeping bad, mat and the small tent, then are all tied together with two long 54" web belts. I found the belts walking thru Walmart a few years. They were on sale for $1 in the men's department, thinking that I could might use them for something, I picked up two. Should have got 4 now that I think of it. The roll is tied to my rack that I made and secured with two more bungees. Then the cargo net attaches to the back of the rack and to extra clips at the top of the sissy bar bag. I can stuff things in the net like my 3/4 face helmet, good for rain, and some other stuff, like my pillow. The saddle bags were filled with tools, oil, rain gear and my light leather jacket.

The extra sleeping mat that is attached vertically was something that I was just bring for Denny and not something that I normally travel with.

With it all loaded the front is a bit light, CG a bit high, but not too bad. Doesn't take long to learn how to ride with all that stuff, but it is different, close to riding two up I think.

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Figures I traded my long sissy fer stock...no biggie...I stripped the bag off a lawn mower catcher, and had great round steel in it...gonna rig that up fer a temp sissy (using the frame ends, and locking in with tapped, pointed bolts)...should do it...that way I can take it off when done too....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement