Story of your most memorable trip. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Story of your most memorable trip.

Men,

I decided I'd start a thread on which we all shared a short story of your most memorable trip. Without further ado,

I recently packed up my backpack and rode the Vulcan out to Blacktail Butte. I then climbed the 1100 or so near-vertical feet and hiked a few miles onto the butte, set up camp and slept under the stars.

-Modifications so far-
  • Drag bars & low mirrors
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • Leather Tank Bib(Credit to Romeobravo172 for craftsmanship)
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Old Fart

Garage
November 1968, Kiel auditorium. Jimi Hendix. Three hits of "Orange Sunshine"... Totally fukin awesome....

Oh, uh, sorry... You mean motorcycle trips.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

haha very nice man. i'd kill to have been around to see him live. Now all I have is the internet.....

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

and very clever btw.

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

I am haunted by waters."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well my fav bike trip was from here in St. Louis MO to Cherokee lake in TN for the Cardnal Cove Vulcan Gathering in 2006. I however made the trip with my soon to be wife on my new FJR 1300.

A stones throw from the Dragons Tail and nearby Gatlinburg where we spent our honeymoon after being married at the lake by and with our Vulcan family.

Good food, good friends, and even a jar of "White Lightning" presented to us by the resorts host.

Veiw from our 14th floor hotel room looking out over the Smokey Mountains:

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Ha, ha, ha….all clever jokes aside….there’s something about a multi-day trip (& not just a weekend) on a bike like the VN750…to a place (or places) you’ve never been before….that every VN750 owner should experience at least a few times. An extended ride like that puts real adventure back into travel again, and it’s fun in a way that going by car/truck can’t match.

If its rear driveshaft splines are properly lubed and in good shape, and the rest of the bike is also in good working condition, the VN750 makes for a pretty good touring machine (except for its small fuel tank, and uncomfy seat), thanks to its low-maintenance design (most 750cc-class bikes made now don’t have shaft drive, self-adjusting valves, & a centerstand).

But somehow, the VN750 doesn’t see much serious long-distance action on this Forum.

Not long ago, I left south Ga to take the advanced MSF class in Marietta, GA. After passing the course, I left there and rode the north Ga mountains for a few days.

Every VN750 driver should spend some time on roads curvy enough so that some of the tail lights you see are your own….

I wouldn’t recommend taking a trip like this without a GPS. A GPS lets you spend more time riding and enjoying the scenery, and less time futzing over maps; it also gives you the luxury of getting “lost” in the first place, without having to worry about later finding your way back out.

Also—I would suggest that trips like this are planned (when possible) so that you don’t spend much time watching the clock. Time is the ultimate luxury, and there’s a good reason why Peter Fonda begins their journey in “Easy Rider” by throwing away his watch!

Slow down long enough to take good pictures of/during your trip. Then after the ride, archive these pix to a safe storage place. Later in life, you’ll be glad you did….

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Ok, so usually no one has to ask me to post a story. Most of the time they get one whether they want it or not. What happens when you actually ask? So glad you asked!

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ight=adventure

Anyway, these were all tons of fun for sure but I like to believe the best trip hasn't happened yet. Good idea Sam, thanks for posting this!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Mike,

Not for nothing but Carrie stories now? We have all been waiting for some Julz stories for some time now, not that rereading about Carrie isn't always an "adventure" for the mind but...........Come on and give us a new series to look forward to.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 06-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Haha awesome stuff guys. And theauhawk, you couldn't be more right. My 1400 mile trip out here to WY was great, and it was actually the first time I've ever actually driven myself further than Wisconsin.

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

I am haunted by waters."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:09 PM

Mine was the ORIGINAL Woodstock concert...I was um, 13 ? sort of...cousin took me, and we ended up eventually at Big Pink.

Bike trip was from Rockland Co.,NY to Gabriels, NY where I used to live, on my 1968 Sportster. Stop in Saratoga to see an old GF. Then out to Plattsburgh just to find out Plattsburgh AFB (Home of the Thunderchief) was closed . Then I hit all the topless bars on the way down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement