Tri-state day ride, a success ! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Tri-state day ride, a success !

Hooked up with Vulcan2000, kc2dgq, and a fella from the other end of the lake I just met with an 800 Drifter.
Left Greenwood lake, NY and headed west through Warwick to Port Jervis, crossed the river into Pennsy, rode 209 (with slight detour) to Dingman's Ferry, crossed the river again into NJ over a tiny woodendecked bridge, Stopped for lunch at Gyps Tavern on Rt206 in Kittatinny Lake (hot lil barkeep !), then headed back to Greenwood. Ended up a 95 mile loop, and enjoyment was had by all !
Weather was great, traffic was minimal.
Thanks for coming up guys, meant a lot to me to get out in a group again. Gotta do it again some time !!!

Possibly a video to follow by our new friend Ken.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

I had a great time today. I left my house at 8:35 AM and returned home at 6:40 PM totalling 238 miles total for the day. Much thanks to Wolfie for the great ride route from his place and also thanks to kc2dgq for meeting me on Route 46 at Willowbrook Mall, the hospitality at his house and the guided tour up to Wolfie's and back to Route 46. I hit a few rain storms on the very first leg before the initial meetup and again on the final leg after setting out on my own. Five storms on the way up and one on the return. No rain during the main tour so that was excellent. It was a great ride and I am looking to head up that way again sometime soon. And yes, Wolfie, the bar maid was not bad to look at at Gyp's. She gave the trip a little inspiration and something to think about later. Sure wish more riders could have made it but there will be a next time.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sure wish more riders could have made it but there will be a next time.

A holiday weekend is tough to get folks together, many have family/gf commitments...Next ride will be on an "open" weekend.
Long as Im still breathin' brother, you bet there will be a next time ! It really brought back some good memories from 30 years ago, when I used to hang/ride with a few outlaws...
If I plan another trip, will try to make it more centralized for all, at least the starting point. Im already putting together a Delaware ride, up through Jersey, then into NY, then back down on the Pennsy side. This'll be a longer one, so we'll do breakfast AND lunch on the road. Mebbe start somewhere near the Water Gap, go all the way to Narrowsburgh, and back down the other side.
Ken (merc45) put up a few vids on YouTube. I invited him to join here as a member, and he prolly will (really nice guy), but for now I dont think he'd mind if I posted the links to his vids.
This is the bulk of the trip from Gyp's back to Greenwood. 3 parts. There may be more to come, dunno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EUza...2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PqzI...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z90zH...3&feature=plcp

Last edited by Wolfie; 05-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 PM

Hi all, Yep I got the drifter, thanks for accepting me in here. Tough sometimes to find other riders and so I am always open to join up with a few people, < 20 people is nice. Today was great - thanks. Those vids are the ones that are processed, I think I have 11 parts, takes a while to upload. Also still need to get mounting location and vibrations issues stamped out on the video camera. I did take some pictures that I did not know I was taking as well (im still new with the go pro) anyway I will upload those to photo bucket when I can.

Thanks all, A great day indeed, thanks it was great.

Ken
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
looks like a fun ride... i might just have to come down that way later this summer...after things slow down here on the home front.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 AM

Garage
I had a load of fun just riding and enjoying the scenery. I am game for another ride whenever you all are planning one. I usually ride the North Jersey mountain roads alone, but it's always fun to have a group ride.

Wolfie, Thanks for the tour and the map as a memento....maybe one of these days you and Ken would come a bit south and meet me for lunch at The Mountain Rest.

Tom, It was a pleasure....I am grateful that you were willing to take the trip up north to ride with us. Sorry about the rainstorms on the way up and back home.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
I had a load of fun just riding and enjoying the scenery. I am game for another ride whenever you all are planning one. I usually ride the North Jersey mountain roads alone, but it's always fun to have a group ride.

Wolfie, Thanks for the tour and the map as a memento....maybe one of these days you and Ken would come a bit south and meet me for lunch at The Mountain Rest.

Tom, It was a pleasure....I am grateful that you were willing to take the trip up north to ride with us. Sorry about the rainstorms on the way up and back home.
Anthony, a little rain is only a little water. I am thankful that I kept going through the early morning storms. I really wanted to ride and each time I hit another storm I wondered if this was the one that would break me and cause me to turn back. Riding home I just slowed it down a little and kept a closer eye on the crazy cagers. I was able to make up the lost time once I hit Rt. 287. The rain started on the way home when I got onto Rt. 46 and stopped as I was on the ramp for Rt. 80 but the roadway there was still pretty wet and sloppy. Rt. 287 was clear and dry so I just opened it up and got a little more full highway speed experience. Once I did make it home I was exhausted and sore. That Mustang seat is great but I believe I need a gel pad if I do any extended riding in the future and a set of highway foot pegs similar to what you have would help with the leg cramps. Could also be that I am starting to feel my age a bit as I will be fifty-nine on this coming Saturday. This last ride calls for another one sometime soon with the four of us and hopefully a few more riders. Thanks for including me in this one. It was a fun time and a true pleasure to ride with everyone.

PS Did your daughter ever make it up the tree? She was one determined little lady for sure.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 05-28-2012 at 07:33 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 03:20 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Garage
"PS Did your daughter ever make it up the tree? She was one determined little lady for sure. "

Not sure actually, but the jump rope is still in the tree...lol

FlacoLove.....I am 12 miles west of NYC. We got some really nice mountain roads and lakes to go riding around. You are welcome to head this way if you want.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM

vids and pics

Hi all... here are the pictures of the ride.

s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo206/mercury45/VN750%20Group%20Ride%205-27-12/

also the videos are somewhere on youtube.com/merc45

have a good one, Happy Memorial day

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement