Hocking Hills Question - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
Thanks Ruger, was hoping to hear from you. You've out done yourself on suggested roads. Damn! Only have 2 days in the area so thanks for all the choices. Weather looks sketchy at best but that's the way it goes. Thanks again. Looking forward to some Yuengling.
oh yeah, I almost forgot.....right in Nelsonville, there is the Hocking Hills Scenic Railway. I've never been on it, so I can't tell you anything about it. also, right there is the Rocky Boots Outlet Store. it's not as cool as it used to be, but it's a nice place. they have a cafe inside and they now sell guns there too!

Spockster is most likely right on the whole RT555 thing. we've only been on a small section of it that was north of RT550,. it was a fun ride. I believe we took RT550, back to RT33,.

even if you don't make it to all or any of the roads I've told you about, you will find that most of the roads down there are good riding. besides, that way you will just have to come back for more.
2 days in the Hills is all you need for a good taste. but it's nowhere enough time to do it all.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Meant to mention the train, not sure if it's still running, or if it only runs in the Fall. Worth checking, right in the middle of N-ville.

Rocky Boots closed didn't they? Right by the train station I'm thinking.

Well they were closing in 2001, but maybe they saved it ... Website is still up. http://rockyoutlet.com/home

Railroad too: http://www.hvsry.org/

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 06-12-2019 at 09:02 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Mod

got back Monday and had a blast. Weather wasn't as bad as predicted. The ride down had a little rain but was dry most of the time. Stayed in a turn of the century house, with 4 bedrooms so everyone had their own room and a great front porch which is where we spent most of our time. Rocky's is open and train does run in summer. We were right near a square that had several restaurants and a pharmacy so could walk to dinner. As you know there are 9 different routes they call the windy 9. Routes can be downloaded via a GTX software and then loaded onto some gps. I have the zumo 392 that is great for motorcycle's. Tried downloading some routes but it's tough. So I just found the route then put in the destination. You can tell it how strong of twisty's. hills, and stay off highways. Put in hocking hills and had a great ride. It rained earlier so had to keep the speeds down a bit, but had an outstanding ride. Saw wildlife, turtles, deer. Ended up at Jimbo's for lunch, then headed back. Decided to ride to Athens as the weather was cooperating and ended up at the smiling skull bar. The entire day was dry with some sun throughout the day making for a great day.
After looking at weather reports, it didn't look good so we decided to come home early. Planning on returning in a couple years to try the other 8 routes, hopefully figuring out how to download the directions. Highly recommend Hocking Hills as a destination for motorcycles and sports cars also. Saw some very cool Porsche and Maserati's cruising around.
I do have a question for the buckeye bunch. Is Ohio the gravel capital of the world? Every other turn had some rocks in them causing us to slow down. Probably due to all the rain lately, but put a damper on the ride.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM

Gravel is a fact of life on the rural roads in monsoon season, the ditches just can't contain the runoff from the hills. Other than that... roads pretty good over that way? Got to get over there again myself.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
OH man, Hocking Hills.......uuuuhhhhh, where do I start?! lol
in the Nelsonville, area ride North up RT78, this route is called "Rim of the World", and for very good reasons. ride it, and you will understand.
take RT78, north up to Ringgold, Ohio, not only is this drop you off at an other great route (RT555, "The Triple Nickel", Ohio's version of the "Dragon"), but there is also a free shooting range in that area! RT555, runs North to South form Zanesville, Ohio, to Little Hocking, Ohio, on the Ohio River.
The last time another guy and I rode The Triple Nickel, we almost lost it in a curve. Car tires had thrown gravel all over the road when cutting the inside edge. Great road, but don't think I'll take it again. My sphincter is still sore from the experience.

There's been an annual rally held in the Lake Hope area for quite a few years. It's called a Rebel rally, but is open to any riders. I think last year was the first time we actually had more Rebels than other models of bikes. If anyone is interested, here's a link: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f34/...-a-121083.html Good company and great roads.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:04 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
got back Monday and had a blast. Weather wasn't as bad as predicted. The ride down had a little rain but was dry most of the time. Stayed in a turn of the century house, with 4 bedrooms so everyone had their own room and a great front porch which is where we spent most of our time. Rocky's is open and train does run in summer. We were right near a square that had several restaurants and a pharmacy so could walk to dinner. As you know there are 9 different routes they call the windy 9. Routes can be downloaded via a GTX software and then loaded onto some gps. I have the zumo 392 that is great for motorcycle's. Tried downloading some routes but it's tough. So I just found the route then put in the destination. You can tell it how strong of twisty's. hills, and stay off highways. Put in hocking hills and had a great ride. It rained earlier so had to keep the speeds down a bit, but had an outstanding ride. Saw wildlife, turtles, deer. Ended up at Jimbo's for lunch, then headed back. Decided to ride to Athens as the weather was cooperating and ended up at the smiling skull bar. The entire day was dry with some sun throughout the day making for a great day.
After looking at weather reports, it didn't look good so we decided to come home early. Planning on returning in a couple years to try the other 8 routes, hopefully figuring out how to download the directions. Highly recommend Hocking Hills as a destination for motorcycles and sports cars also. Saw some very cool Porsche and Maserati's cruising around.
I do have a question for the buckeye bunch. Is Ohio the gravel capital of the world? Every other turn had some rocks in them causing us to slow down. Probably due to all the rain lately, but put a damper on the ride.
BLAST! I totally forgot all about the "Windy 9". Stupid Ruger! I even have a paper map of them. BLAST! where did I leave that map at?! lol
I just checked the maps/routes out on-line (couldn't find the paper map), I have been on a lot of those roads, but I have not done the actual routes that they have mapped out on the maps.

BLAST! you found out about my secret, favorite watering hole down there in Athens, "The Smiling Skull Saloon". just how did you end up there anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Gravel is a fact of life on the rural roads in monsoon season, the ditches just can't contain the runoff from the hills. Other than that... roads pretty good over that way? Got to get over there again myself.
what he said.^
you know, from someone that lives in MI.,-the dirt/gravel road capital of the world- (not to mention their awesome paved roads,not! ), that's a pretty funny question for you to ask.
but, yeah, we have had nothing but rain here for the last four to five months. Hell, Lake Erie is over flowing. no exaggeration. Lake Erie is at an all time high. Hell, "Mentor Headlands Beach", which is the longest (mile-long) natural beach in Ohio, is now gone! it is completely under water!
on the way home form work, heard on the radio an emergency broad cast saying that there was a flash flood warning for all counties of Ohio. it also said that the flash floods will be begin soon!

all in all, I'm glad you had a safe trip. I'm also glade you to hear that you enjoyed yourself and will return to the Hills. I told you, those are the best roads in Ohio to ride on.

Last edited by ruger; 06-20-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Mod

Yes, I have no room to talk about roads living in Michigan. My brother has been down that way a few times and he took us to the bar. Plenty of maps of the windy 9 when you get there just tough to follow. Turns out the last road we took back to Nelsonville from Athens was the best. I'll look it up on my gps. As far as the bar goes, I wouldn't hang around there at night. Guys were toasted at 1pm already.

Next trip is August heading to Indiana foe 4 days. Any suggestions?

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Rt33 or 682?

The one road I used in Michigan was really smooth, but mostly straight as an arrow and flat, massive cornfields on both sides.

2003-21k mi

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Rt33 or 682?

The one road I used in Michigan was really smooth, but mostly straight as an arrow and flat, massive cornfields on both sides.
I doubt it was RT33, I bet it was some other road.

as for the road you talking about in MI., it sounds a lot like a lot of roads up there. we call them "runways"! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement