Noobie - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Trip / Ride Reports & Get-togethers Want to plan a ride? Want to meet the faces
behind the keyboard? Set something up here!
Also check out our Regional Forums to find local riders!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Noobie

Hey guys super new to the Kawi life just got my hands on a 1986 vn750 and really looking forward to restoring it however it’s gona need a little tlc. So that being said does anyone know if there are still tuxedo kits being made because the stator is shot , also there is some water in the rear spark plug what’s up with that ? And there’s fuel all over the motor maybe from the carbs?? Idk but anyone looking to help a noobie feel free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Garage
Sounds like a lot going on here.
1. Did you test the stator or did someone tell you it's shot. I personally have changed 2 already (2 different bikes) and I pulled the engine both times. Not really that difficult and you'll learn a lot about the bike.

2. If you pull the engine then you can pull the carbs first and clean them awhile, then you're assured they are clean. The petcock works off a vacuum so if you have gas all over the motor it could be leaking from that.

That would be a good start, and it would probably be a good idea to install new NGK Irridium plugs and an AGM Battery. Also do the spline lube for the rear wheel while your at it and flush the front brake fluid.

Providing you get this running properly, doing these maintenance items is just as important to keep your ride running smooth all summer. This will take some time for a Noobie but it's worth it.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Sounds like a lot going on here.
1. Did you test the stator or did someone tell you it's shot. I personally have changed 2 already (2 different bikes) and I pulled the engine both times. Not really that difficult and you'll learn a lot about the bike.

2. If you pull the engine then you can pull the carbs first and clean them awhile, then you're assured they are clean. The petcock works off a vacuum so if you have gas all over the motor it could be leaking from that.

That would be a good start, and it would probably be a good idea to install new NGK Irridium plugs and an AGM Battery. Also do the spline lube for the rear wheel while your at it and flush the front brake fluid.

Providing you get this running properly, doing these maintenance items is just as important to keep your ride running smooth all summer. This will take some time for a Noobie but it's worth it.

Well the owner told me it’s shot but I figured pulling the motor wouldn’t be so bad so I can really check everything . This is my first cruiser/ very old bike so I’m looking forward to it. Um what is a petcock is that the carb? How do you tune the carbs? Spline lube?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:46 PM
GDI

Welcome! Where you at Narcann?

Shark has put together a pretty long list for you there, but it's all good advice. I picked up an '03 last year, and I've been through all those items and more! Stator went out on me at around 500 miles (16,500 total), so I've had the motor out, lubed the drive-shaft splines before I took the motor out (mine *really* needed lube), and then again when I pulled the motor not because it needed it so much as because it was apart, so just re-did it from the the engine end. Honda Moly 60 is your friend for lubing those driveshaft splines. Also replaced thermostat and a couple hoses and fixed several oil leaks. And yes, did do the tuxedo mod when I had the motor out. Here's a link to the way I did mine.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...tator-job.html

The good news is that it was all worthwhile. I've been riding mine to work most every day now, and it's been a pleasure. I'm especially pleased that all those leaks are fixed. Bike has been real reliable.

GDI
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
Welcome! Where you at Narcann?

Shark has put together a pretty long list for you there, but it's all good advice. I picked up an '03 last year, and I've been through all those items and more! Stator went out on me at around 500 miles (16,500 total), so I've had the motor out, lubed the drive-shaft splines before I took the motor out (mine *really* needed lube), and then again when I pulled the motor not because it needed it so much as because it was apart, so just re-did it from the the engine end. Honda Moly 60 is your friend for lubing those driveshaft splines. Also replaced thermostat and a couple hoses and fixed several oil leaks. And yes, did do the tuxedo mod when I had the motor out. Here's a link to the way I did mine.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...tator-job.html

The good news is that it was all worthwhile. I've been riding mine to work most every day now, and it's been a pleasure. I'm especially pleased that all those leaks are fixed. Bike has been real reliable.

GDI

Thanks for the info brother should be picking it up sometime this week will take pics and send them in and update you guys on the progress
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcann View Post
Um what is a petcock is that the carb? How do you tune the carbs? Spline lube?
The Petcock is mounted under the tank, it has the fuel shut off lever on it. Sometimes the diaphragm leaks on it or the fitting become loose and gas can leak out of it. I believe there is a thread in the Vulcan Versus section for the spline lube you can read up on for that. And Youtube had some good videos on the carb cleaning.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement