Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - View Single Post - Stuck float
Thread: Stuck float
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
MSattler

Stuck float

So I disassembled the 700ís carbs, and cleaned all of the parts with vinegar and brake cleaner. They came out brilliant. I replaced one of the float needles (the spring on the little brass rod seemed stuck), and the other one seemed okay, so I left it. I cannot remember which one was new, because I cleaned the old one and that looked new afterwards too. Then I let the floats sit in the vinegar over night and cleaned those as well. Afterwards, I replaced all gaskets and put it back in. I broke one of the fuel nipples while trying to get the carb out, so that was replaced with the brass one. That was on the rear cylinder. I lubed that up with Vaseline and beat it in with a rubber mallet (gently, it went in snug, but alright). The bike fired right up. Once I turned the petcock to prime, the hose around the brass nipple started spraying gas. I put a hose clamp on, and it was fine. Now the engine becomes so bogged down with gas while sitting, I can pull the plug and send out a torrent of gas and itíll start up, or try to turn it over several times to clear it. When that happens, thereís always a loud pop from the front cylinder before locking the engine, then itíll clear the gas out of the coolant tube on the right.

Another interesting thing I noticed, is that if it is running and I tilt the bike far to the left, the bike wants to die. If I do the same on the right, itís fine. My question is- what should I look for when I pull these bastards again? I poured in a full can of seafoam and have been riding like a jack ass, so everything should still be clean. Could the float be misaligned? I flicked it before installing, and it moved freely, the flog needle went into the tube easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?

Last edited by MSattler; 05-21-2020 at 08:05 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome