Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

High Output at idle

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Chris Allunario 
#1 ·
I did a quick test this morning on my bike to verify the charging system since I'm taking it over 300 miles this week. My stator output was 25v which is somewhat low but my dc output was 14.8v at idle. I'll be on mostly highways with some traffic. Should I be concerned?

#3 ·
When you say “idle” I’m assuming you mean around 1000 to 1100 rpms? If so then I agree with Spockster’s post. I ask because since I had my stator replaced I’ll see the voltage jump with just a little choke, I don’t ever see 14.8 though,even on the highway. Do you see it fluctuate if you increase rpms?

#4 ·
I checked my connections and a stator output was very sorry at the r/r. It idles normally now but worth light revs it's kinda low. It seems like it is starting to go bad. The stator output is also below what it should be at 25V. I have my r/r relocated already. Is a shindigen r/r worth it? I'll happily spen

d the money if I know it won't fail but I worry since they tend to fail in pairs. I also did the tuxedo mod so swapping them both costs me $60 and about an hour

#7 ·
I have my r/r relocated already. Is a shindigen r/r worth it?
I have no complaints on the Shindengen MOSFET kit I used, but there are some knockoffs out there. Bought mine from Roadstercycle.

Just to be sure ... You checked the stator output using the AC volts setting? If the stator wasn't disconnected from the harness, it might affect the readings, not sure.

What did the DC volts drop to when the rpm increased?

#8 ·
Yeah the stator was disconnected and was putting out 25 VAC. It didn't change with revs before but it now rises to around 13.1v from 12.6V IIRC

#11 ·
Well hoping for the best paid off. I switched bikes for a long trip because no one wants to break down 100 miles from home. I checked my battery upon return and it was 12.8v. When I got to work it was nearly 13v and when I checked DC output with a warm bike it was acting as it should. Does charging not perform properly with a cold bike?

#12 ·
Temp shouldn’t matter for the charging aspect, expansion and contraction could reek havoc on say a corroded connector or cracking wire because of expansion and contraction. But how “cold” are we talking? Like dipping temps or just not running overnight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.