Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Luggage rack for everyday use

10K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  roadpouring 
#1 ·
Ok, the title might sound weird, couldn't come up with anything else. This is my dilemma, I do have saddle bags, but no brackets so the bottoms are getting torn up on the shock bolts. I took them off, like the look better anyway. When I ride by myself, mostly to work and home, I just put stuff in a back pack and strap it on the passenger seat. Well school has started back and my daughter loves to ride but I don't have anywhere to store her back pack, mine, and any other miscellaneous stuff I might have to carry. Am I destined to only drive my truck now? What have you all done?

See less See more
#3 ·
I forgot about that small luggage rack that goes behind the seat. I already moved my turn signals, just never figured out a good way to make saddle bag brackets yet.

Untitled

#5 ·
Thanks! Don't know why I find it so hard to find parts like this online...

#7 ·
I got some bags like these:
https://www.vikingbags.com/kawasaki-vulcan-750-small-thor-series-motorcycle-saddlebags-8688-prd1.htm

Not exactly the same but I don't think they make mine anymore. Anyways, They're hard bags and have a mounting kit included. Gives you everything you need to bolt right into the... whatever the thing that holds the turn signals is, and provides spacers to clear the shocks. If you measure right, you don't have to get the Fire and Steel kit, but can bolt right into your existing setup

#6 ·
The luggage rack is so small, it's basically useless for anything larger than a small satchel. When I've tied larger things down they have a tendancy to flop back and forth. With proper anchoring it can be done, but it's a pain. I do have saddle bags with supports, but when carrying something like a gallon of milk, the bottoms just don't have enough support, and they're starting to tear where they bolt onto the frame.

I'm in the middle of making a crate that can quick-snap onto the luggage rack when I need to transport a bulky item in a hurry, as well as a saddle-bag bracket with an 'L' profile to provide support on the bottom. Haven't seen either of those things in the existing market.

#11 ·
HA HA!! That's what I want!

#13 · (Edited)
#17 ·
The side pieces came off a Suzuki Boulevard, i picked them up at a swap meet, (peeling) chrome over aluminum.
Cross bars are threaded rod through nickel finish curtain rod/aluminum tube.
All bolted to the extended turn signal bracket

#20 ·
Just noticed this OEM luggage rack for sale on ebay.
I am not the seller but just noticed it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.