Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Needs full choke to run

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bejay 
#1 ·
I just got my first bike. A 1987 VN750 with 16k miles. I have been learning my way around it and taking it out for a few rides. I have a issue though, the bike needs full choke to run. Anything other than full choke it will die. I have drained both carbs, Tapped them to try and release a float, and run a tank of seafoam through it but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas what could be the issue?

Other than that minor annoyance the bike is great, the air suspension is super comfortable and the auto cancelling directionals still work!

Thanks
Jon

#7 ·
Pilots clogged solid, probably.

Cleaning the jets can be done on the bike, if you're good and have the right tools. But to really clean the rest of the passages in the carb body, the carbs have to come off.

Mine is earshaved, and I left the throttle cables connected when I cleaned the carbs. I didn't soak the bodies, just blew cleaner and air through all the holes to make sure they're open. (towels covering everything)

Your jets will need to soak a while to loosen the concrete. I've sprayed carb cleaner into a cup, but last time I used Castrol Super Clean for the soak. ... and since then I got an ultrasonic cleaner! It works, favorite to use in it ... distilled white vinegar.

#9 ·
you could also try soaking the carbs in Seafoam or Berryman's B12 (cheaper, more powerful, slightly riskier than Seafoam) in-place by draining the fuel out of the bowls via the drains on the bottom (small hex-cap/allen key screws on each carb) and filling the carbs with cleaner through the fuel lines. Seafoam let sit for a couple days, B12 leave for a few hours or overnight, then drain, reconnect the fuel, and see if it'll fire.

Neither are guaranteed, but it might just get you riding OK until you can take the time to pull the carbs.

#11 ·
Removing the carbs isn't horrible. It can definitely be done by someone without a bunch of mechanical knowledge. There's a really good step by step how to on the ear shave procedure thread. The jets will be on the bottom of the carb. Once you get that part open, just use a flathead screwdriver to remove the pilot jet. A small needle and some carb cleaner will help clean the holes. Here's a picture of the pilot jet that needs to be cleaned.

Attachments

#12 ·
Try some additives in the tank, can get it from gasstations. I know a can where I´m from. Denmark. I´v try same as you, jets was clugged. You can get some additives, there clean the jets without, pull out the carbs. Of cource if to clugged, no way back. But try my suggestion, if you feel to it. It work for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.