Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Battery plus ??

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  trekbiker 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the battery plus Battery that fits our bike?
I bought their sealed one day before yesterday as my old battery died - and now two days later I am pushing the bike to get it started again..:BLAM:

#2 ·
I had a Battery Plus sealed/MF battery. Lasted a little over 3 years.

How long and at what amps did you charge it?
I know sometime they say they don't need charged, but I prefer to be sure the battery has a full & complete charge before installing it.

At most, 2amps until fully charged is the highest I usually go.
Lower amps for a longer time gives a much better charge than more amps for less time.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions - I did charge the battery for a couple of hours - until the green light came on on the charger when I first got it - perhaps I'll charge it again this evening - How do you go about checking the charging system?

#7 ·
a simple check is to put a volt meter on the batt, take voltage readings across the batt at; off, idle, and 4k should be between 13-15 volts at 4k rpms

check all ground, stator and rr connections... in my signature there is a stator test and ther is an rr test in versus, clymers, and in the service manual,

#8 ·
I have had bad experience with 2 of theirs, no more for me.

Jon

#9 ·
Thanks for the help - it looks like I have a bad connector at my R&R - going out to PEP boys to try and match one up - The old battery leaked all over the connector and it is crumbling - - not keeping good contact - I'll let you know what happens - everything else seemed to check out pretty much OK - and when the battery is charged it fires right up - I sure hope it really is this simple

#10 ·
connector?

well - apparently you can't go buy a connector (that I have found) - also it looks like my stator is a bit shorted to ground - no wonder things don't stay charged. The battery charged up great off the bike the r&r seemed to check fine so it looks like I will be in for a bit of quality bonding time with my bike as soon as I get all the parts. Do I actually have to buy a new wiring harness just because one connector went kaput?:(

#11 ·
Seems like a while back someone (lance?) posted where they found a 6 pin connector to replace what battery acid ate up. Sorry I can't find the post. Maybe they'll jump in.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the help from everybody - I have all the parts in now for the repair - I got a rebuilt stator from a fellow in Alabama - tomorrow is tear down and hopefully fix the thing - If you are replacing the stator do you replace the regulator as well a general rule?

#16 ·
Well it's done - it took quite a while (better part of 2 days) but the stator replacement is complete - The worst part of the job is getting the motor to fit back in where it came out of no leaks - no probs. The bike runs way so much better than it ever has! Thanks for the help - I couldn't have done it with out everyone's assistance. Runs like a hot rod now - see the post of my first real ride today after the fix (up close and personal with Fulton county's finest)

Thanks guys!!:beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.