Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

oil and antifreeze changing

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  solos60 
#1 ·
Almost got my 93 vulcan ready, but can not seem to find drain plugs for antifreeze or oil. Do i need to remove hose to drain antifreeze, and is the oil plug hiding?

#2 ·
It's best to get the free download of the repair manual, available here in the forum and in some member's signatures.

Coolant drain is on the right side bottom of case below the water pump (approx. 10mm bolt head), and there's a drain on the radiator . Radiator drain is plastic (approx. 13mm bolt head), be careful with it.

Oil drain (approx. 17mm) is on the bottom near center of the engine, but there's also a drain cap (approx. 17mm hex on an 1 1/4" cap) near the left footpeg which has an additional filter screen in it. This area always holds extra oil after the lower drain has emptied that section. Best to drain there too and check the screen for rubber or metal debris. Note the order of rubber gasket, o-ring, spring, and filter screen.

#4 ·
I located your posting while doing a "search" and wanted to "thank you" for clarifying the oil drain plug location.
The manual and other postings on the subject refer to the drain plug containing the oil screen, which after your remark regarding its location near the left foot peg, I was finally able to see it.
Your posting was the first that I had found which referred to the "other" oil drain plug located on the bottom near the center of the engine.
I had the oil changed at a motorcycle shop last year then I bought my 1991 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan, I was never happy because I could not see the oil in the oil level gauge.
This year I did the oil change myself, mainly to see how much oil was in the engine, not changing the oil filter and using the drain plug on the bottom of the engine to drain the oil.
To my surprise I drained out over 5 liters of oil, and refilled with 3 1/2 liters of oil but I still cannot see any indication in the oil level gauge.
I now understand why previously , I was unable to see the oil level... it was over filled, but don't understand why with the correct amount of oil in the engine, there is no indication of the oil level in the oil level gauge.
Do you have any suggestions ?
Thanks...

#5 ·
I would think 3.5l would show something, but also double check the capacity, I think it's stamped 4.0L beside the oil fill cap, 3.9L maybe..

It does take some time to drain back into the glass just after shutting the engine off.

Side note, the oil in this engine gets air whipped into it in the first minutes of running. Don't be alarmed if the oil looks cloudy or milky after a brief start. You won't see this after the engine is fully warm and hot, or stone cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.