Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Electrical wiring advice wanted!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  lance328 
#1 ·
Greetings to one'n'all

Recently I posted a thread about finding a broken clutch plate in the bottom of the motor of 'Sweep' the VN whilst changing the stator etc etc. Whilst waiting for bits to be delivered, I decided to give everything the once over.

During one of my amusing bump start procedures, I managed to drop Sweep on the right hand side. The previous numpty (sorry, owner), for some strange reason had all the controls, switchgear etc moved down the bars so that they overhung the ends. Trying to make the bars wider & cooler, I suppose.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the throttle slide, twist grip whatever you want to call it has smashed and rather than pay CSML 17 euros (plus postage) for a new one, I've managed to find one on Ebay complete with the R/H switchgear. This is off of a UK model, so it has a switch on it to turn the lights on & off.

Does anybody know whether or not this is compatable with the loom on a US spec bike? I mean, if I fit it, would I be able to control the running lights? I know that you guys in the US & Canada have to ride with the lights on, but here in the UK it's not a legal requirement, and to be honest, having to do so really gets on my t*ts.

Chin,Chin

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The UK assembly will not work with a US & Canada loom, but the throttle tube will work.

#3 ·
Actualy it might...the wires of the control box include a two wire connector that is the kill switch, and another set that is the starter button wires...it is possible that you can still connect those, but of course there will not be wires in the stock loom to connect to a headlamp switch.

I any event, it may be possible to wire the thing up even if it uses different connectors, you would just have to remove them and install your own...and again you will not be able to turn off the headlamp as there is no wires on your bike leading up there to do this...

This is of course just theory, am guessing you have not actualy seen a Euro control Lance?

KM

#4 ·
I have seen and repaired a Euro model. The right Euro control has a HL on/off switch between the on/off and start button. It will work on a US model but the HL switch will not function. He wants to use it for the HL on/off function, he has a busted throttle tube but doesn't want to by a new one. He found a used asembly on ebay and wants the HL on/off function on his US model. The tube will work but the control will not work with the HL function.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input fellas. I suppose I can keep the the switchgear as a spare, without trying to connect the headlight switch, and put up with the fact that I have to ride around lit up like a christmas tree!

PS Caught your reply to a thread about the pick up coil mod, Lance. So I will do that before I put the motor back in. Thanks for that. How did you arrive at the figure of 20 thou'?

Regards
Martin

#6 ·
I didn't come up with the 0.020" 0.50mm figure, someone else did years ago and it works great.

#7 ·
Hi Lance,

Thanks very much for that. It was difficult to start when hot. Even without the problems with the fried stator!!

Regards,
Martin

#8 ·
NGK Iridium plugs and a MF AGM battery will also with the hot starting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.