Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Engine guard bar

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  lance328 
#1 ·
I got an engine guard and the small bar that connects the upper right side to the frame didn't come with the guard or the hardware for that matter. If someone that has a Kawasaki EG could tell me what the length is and center distance from hole to hole is, I can see about getting one fab'ed up. That way I can turn this boat anchor into an EG.

#3 ·
This is the best I could do without removing mine:

1/4" thick chromed steel flat stock

4 1/4" long

1" wide

Holes 3" center to center (not sure what diameter the holes are)

#4 ·
4.50" x 1.00" x .250" flat bar

3.50" center to center for mounting holes

guard hole is 1/2"

mount hole 3/8"

Measurements were taken with bracket off. :rockon:

#5 ·
Thanks guys, you saved me a ton of work. I was able to get a peace of 4142 chromemoly the make it. It won't be chrome like I wanted but I'll polish it the best I can and it will have to do. At lest I can get it done this weekend and thanks again. When I tell a newbe that this is the best bunch of people you could meet, now this is what I'm talking about.:rockon:

#6 ·
The ends have a radius. Chromemoly will rust, use SS or Aluminum. I have 6061 T651 Aluminum and can make one if needed.

#7 · (Edited)
http://www.vn750.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=696
Lance, I kind of thought it would rust but that’s all I could get. What I did was like who I did the bottom tubes. 150, 320, 600 then 1500 grit then polish. Not the tubes but I did spray the bar with a clear coat to try and keep it from rusting. I laid it out 3.500 between holes and 4.500 long with a full radius on both ends. I don't know if this guard is bent or not, but when I mounted it up the top of the guard comes right at the bottom of the .500 thru. hole in the bar. I have to undo the two top bolts and loosen the bottom ones and then rotate it as far as I can forward to get the radiator cover on and off. Is that what has to be done to get it the cover on and off you’re bike?

#8 · (Edited)
You have the bracket mounted in the wrong place, it mounts to the bottom engine bracket mount bolt and the left mounts to the top. You have to remove the exhaust then install the guard. Then remove the guard leaving the bracket on the frame. Install the head pipe and guard.

#9 · (Edited)
Lance, I think you’re mistaken on the upper hole. I went right by the instructions and it goes in the bottom engine mount hole. If I put it in the top hole it would make it even shorter between holes. The way you put the dimensions (3.500 and not 3 1/2) I know you know your way around measuring instruments. So I don't think you made a mistake in the readings. That is why I was wondering if it might be slightly bent. I'll have to find out what the measurment is between the right side lower mounting hole and the center of the right top tube is.:notworthy

http://www.vn750.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=697

The top left fits up to the upper hole. Can you see how close it fits the the radiator cover. Thats why I will have to undo the top and losen the bottom bolts ane rotate it forwards to get the cover off to mount the cover we should be getting this week.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=100&pictureid=695

#10 ·
You are correct, meant the bottom hole. :BLAM: I took a measurement from the bolt hole to the bottom mount and it is 4 5/8" C to C, same as the left. What does yours measure?

#11 ·
Lance my left and right are both the same at 4.750 centers of the two bolts on left and center of the bolt at the bottom guard mount to center of top guard tube. It is 3.000 from center of lower motor mount bolt to center of top guard tube. That was a good call on taking the distance on both sides of the guard. With them being the same I know it's not bent. I just need to make the holes 3.000" apart.:beerchug:

#12 ·
I am going to reinstall vulcan 89's guard and I will take some pics to see why there is a difference. Give me about 30 min. :smiley_th

#13 · (Edited)
After I put the bracket on the guard I had to lift up to get the frame bolt in. I measured from peg mount to tube center and it was 4.750 left and right.

This is the early model and maybe people had trouble with the 3.500" bracket and they went to a 3.000" bracket. That would explain why flitecontrol's is different, but it will work with the 3.500" bracket with a little help.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pictures. I sure hope you didn't take your exhaust off just to show me that the 3.500 C to C will work. I don't think it would take much persuasion to get it to mount up. Like you said probably just the difference from older and newer. I think I will try and remake one with 3.000 C/C just because I will have to undo the top bolts and loosen the lowers to get the radiator cover on and off. I don't want to pry it up to get the bolt in each time I take it off/on.
Thanks for your time and effort on this Lance. You be the man.:rockon:
When I get the new grill cover all mounted up I will TRY (still having problems with the whole picture thing) to post some pictures of my baby with the lights, trim and other stuff I did to her.:motorcycl
Bob S.

#15 ·
This is vulcan89's scoot I have been rebuilding, restoring, and upgrading. The exhaust was not on yet because I just finished making the GB bypass pipes. :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.