Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Air/mix screw plugs

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  vulcan1999 
#1 ·
Hi,

So, I have some popping during deceleration, and want to adjust the air/mix screws to see if that helps. My question is, without a drill, how in hell do you remove the metal (lead?) plugs? The carbs are oriented in such a way that I can't get to the plugs straight on. I'm thinking I can lightly hammer in a screw to create a hole and then use a pick to pull the plug out? I just don't want to brake anything expensive, and if i hammer in at an angle that may put a lot of force to the back of the screw housing. I really don't want to pull the carbs, haha. This bike had been coastered with a black epoxy by the previous owner that looked like they were leaking air, so i recently bought and installed proper metal coasters. I also think I may have to replace the exhaust pipe crush gaskets (especially the right side as it is popping far more than the left and seems to be getting worse) and I will get the Harley gaskets and do that later this week. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Brett

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The plug is kind of thick maybe around 1/8 inch I forgot. The angle is really weird and will be hard if you don't want to remove the carbs. Maybe you can use a small sharp screw to pierce the plug and then yank the screw out.

#4 ·
I don't own a drill, haha. I've never worked on any kind of machine before. I just asked a buddy if I he had one and he does, So I will use his ( very carefully). Since I'll be going in at an angle, I will drill a shallow hole, and then use a screw to pull it out. Hopefully that works!

#7 ·
In the pictures are the external air valves. Replace the diaphrams inside of each one. They could also be your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.